This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Encouraging female students to take STEM subjects at A level

Hi!

I’m Steph and I’m a Sixth Form student who plans to pursue a career in engineering.

As the only (out of about 40 students total) female physics or further maths student in my Sixth Form, I am keen to encourage more GCSE students to take science subjects at A level. Speaking to some of them, a lot of them do not believe they are intelligent enough, even the top students in the class.

I am currently volunteering to help out with science lessons once a week but want to do more.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to encourage more students (particularly female students) to take science subjects at A level?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Parents
  • There's nothing "politically incorrect" about the course of human development taking a natural course rather than a course distorted by well meaning people with some virtuous political agenda..

Unfortunately for these people the reality is that girls and boys are different, have different inherent instincts and thus interests.

By all means have the door open for anyone who wants to join a male dominated profession (which it is now), and vice-versa, but please stop the social engineering.

If we need more talent in engineering maybe we should work to make it more lucrative.
  • There's nothing "politically incorrect" about the course of human development taking a natural course rather than a course distorted by well meaning people with some virtuous political agenda..

Unfortunately for these people the reality is that girls and boys are different, have different inherent instincts and thus interests.

By all means have the door open for anyone who wants to join a male dominated profession (which it is now), and vice-versa, but please stop the social engineering.

If we need more talent in engineering maybe we should work to make it more lucrative.
Children
No Data