This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Encouraging female students to take STEM subjects at A level

Hi!

I’m Steph and I’m a Sixth Form student who plans to pursue a career in engineering.

As the only (out of about 40 students total) female physics or further maths student in my Sixth Form, I am keen to encourage more GCSE students to take science subjects at A level. Speaking to some of them, a lot of them do not believe they are intelligent enough, even the top students in the class.

I am currently volunteering to help out with science lessons once a week but want to do more.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to encourage more students (particularly female students) to take science subjects at A level?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Parents
  • We have to beware the PC attitude that everyone is equal and thus everyone can or should do, or be able to or be encouraged to do, everything.

It's a balance between nature and nurture. Men are from Mars and Ladies are from Venus sums up the fact that males and females are genetically different physically as well as the way they are mentally and emotionally wired. There are many exceptions to this generality and we should encourage females into male dominated careers if they have the skills and aptitude for those subjects.

However, having 'positive discrimination quotas' to get females into STEM careers is wrong on many levels, there will be a high failure or dissatisfaction rate that will be a negative incentive and discouragement for those thinking of following. However, everyone should have the opportunity to do their best in whatever walk of life or sector they have the ability to maximise their potential in, and this may change through life.

To get anyone interested in any subject or career has to answer two simple questions - what is in it for me, and, what is so interesting in this subject to get me involved and enthused?

To make STEM attractive to females they have to feel welcome in the subject, see the relevance and a future in linked sectors, feel they will not be discriminated against in male-dominated sectors, see a fulfilling career that balances work and family commitments through life, and have some strong and credible role models to look to as guides and mentors in various STEM sectors.

Who are the STEM-qualified female role models in STEM-dominated sectors that would attract females into the A level STEM subjects needed for various sectors, and how do they engage with the education system from primary school through to university and beyond to a professional career and qualification in a STEM career?

How do we find synergies between the female-attracting careers such as medicine, nursing, care and male-attracting STEM subjects such as construction, AI, tele-medicine, robotics, space, aviation, etc, to get cross fertilisation of skills, experience, ideas and collaborative sector working during careers?

Leverage the best of both sexes to achieve a bigger sum output, so that 1 + 1 = 3

• We have to beware the PC attitude that everyone is equal and thus everyone can or should do, or be able to or be encouraged to do, everything.

It's a balance between nature and nurture. Men are from Mars and Ladies are from Venus sums up the fact that males and females are genetically different physically as well as the way they are mentally and emotionally wired. There are many exceptions to this generality and we should encourage females into male dominated careers if they have the skills and aptitude for those subjects.

However, having 'positive discrimination quotas' to get females into STEM careers is wrong on many levels, there will be a high failure or dissatisfaction rate that will be a negative incentive and discouragement for those thinking of following. However, everyone should have the opportunity to do their best in whatever walk of life or sector they have the ability to maximise their potential in, and this may change through life.

To get anyone interested in any subject or career has to answer two simple questions - what is in it for me, and, what is so interesting in this subject to get me involved and enthused?

To make STEM attractive to females they have to feel welcome in the subject, see the relevance and a future in linked sectors, feel they will not be discriminated against in male-dominated sectors, see a fulfilling career that balances work and family commitments through life, and have some strong and credible role models to look to as guides and mentors in various STEM sectors.

Who are the STEM-qualified female role models in STEM-dominated sectors that would attract females into the A level STEM subjects needed for various sectors, and how do they engage with the education system from primary school through to university and beyond to a professional career and qualification in a STEM career?

How do we find synergies between the female-attracting careers such as medicine, nursing, care and male-attracting STEM subjects such as construction, AI, tele-medicine, robotics, space, aviation, etc, to get cross fertilisation of skills, experience, ideas and collaborative sector working during careers?

Leverage the best of both sexes to achieve a bigger sum output, so that 1 + 1 = 3

Children
No Data