Encouraging female students to take STEM subjects at A level

Hi!

I’m Steph and I’m a Sixth Form student who plans to pursue a career in engineering.

As the only (out of about 40 students total) female physics or further maths student in my Sixth Form, I am keen to encourage more GCSE students to take science subjects at A level. Speaking to some of them, a lot of them do not believe they are intelligent enough, even the top students in the class.

I am currently volunteering to help out with science lessons once a week but want to do more.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to encourage more students (particularly female students) to take science subjects at A level?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Parents
  • Hi Steph,

As well as an aviation engineer, I am also a STEM Ambassador.  Have you heard of WISE?  They are a fantastic organisation with an aim of:

Enabling and energising people in business, industry and education to increase the participation, contribution and success of women in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM). Working with you we can boost the talent pool from classroom to boardroom and drive economic growth.

To meet the WISE commitment to engage more girls to consider studies and careers in STEM and reach 200,000 girls in the next 4 years; WISE has created an interactive resource to help girls find rewarding careers in STEM; where girls will be happy and successful.  To find out more, get in touch!

If you are interested in Science, you could consider contacting BASF in Mansfield.  They have a fantastic set-up to promote science and maybe able to assist.  It maybe prudent to chat with the WISE Team and see if they can help you with contacts and visiting the factory and their science lab.

Kind Regards,

John

• Hi Steph,

As well as an aviation engineer, I am also a STEM Ambassador.  Have you heard of WISE?  They are a fantastic organisation with an aim of:

Enabling and energising people in business, industry and education to increase the participation, contribution and success of women in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM). Working with you we can boost the talent pool from classroom to boardroom and drive economic growth.

To meet the WISE commitment to engage more girls to consider studies and careers in STEM and reach 200,000 girls in the next 4 years; WISE has created an interactive resource to help girls find rewarding careers in STEM; where girls will be happy and successful.  To find out more, get in touch!

If you are interested in Science, you could consider contacting BASF in Mansfield.  They have a fantastic set-up to promote science and maybe able to assist.  It maybe prudent to chat with the WISE Team and see if they can help you with contacts and visiting the factory and their science lab.

Kind Regards,

John

Children
No Data