Encouraging female students to take STEM subjects at A level

Hi!

I’m Steph and I’m a Sixth Form student who plans to pursue a career in engineering.

As the only (out of about 40 students total) female physics or further maths student in my Sixth Form, I am keen to encourage more GCSE students to take science subjects at A level. Speaking to some of them, a lot of them do not believe they are intelligent enough, even the top students in the class.

I am currently volunteering to help out with science lessons once a week but want to do more.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to encourage more students (particularly female students) to take science subjects at A level?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Parents
  • Hi all 

May I please ask you to be mindful that your responses are helpful to the original poster and that they stay on topic and comply with our community etiquette and terms and conditions of use. Another community user has felt it necessary to start a discussion about this topic in the general chat category.

SRVerwey‍   I hope your experience in this discussion doesn't discourage you from visiting the IET community in future. You may be interested in joining our Women's Network; and I agree with Sue Twelves that the STEM Ambassdor hub is a great place to look for resources and people who can share their experiences in STEM careers with your fellow students. 

I can definitely second the recommendation to check out WISE, and the Women's Engineering Society also does great work. We like them so much that we share our Stevenage office with them?
  • Hi all 

May I please ask you to be mindful that your responses are helpful to the original poster and that they stay on topic and comply with our community etiquette and terms and conditions of use. Another community user has felt it necessary to start a discussion about this topic in the general chat category.

SRVerwey‍   I hope your experience in this discussion doesn't discourage you from visiting the IET community in future. You may be interested in joining our Women's Network; and I agree with Sue Twelves that the STEM Ambassdor hub is a great place to look for resources and people who can share their experiences in STEM careers with your fellow students. 

I can definitely second the recommendation to check out WISE, and the Women's Engineering Society also does great work. We like them so much that we share our Stevenage office with them?
Children
No Data