This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Four engineers, past or present, who would you invite to a dinner party?

If there’s one thing I’ve missed during the pandemic lockdown it’s having friends over (or going over to friends’ houses) for dinner. I’m not a particularly brilliant cook but I do like to experiment and as the sign on my kitchen wall says… Many people have eaten here and survived… ?

We always like to play the ‘Dinner Party’ game where everyone chooses four people from a specific profession (Actors, Musicians, Politicians, Cartoon Characters, which of the James Bonds etc) that they would invite to a dinner party and explain why they've chosen that person. 

So it got me thinking…

Which four engineers from both past and present (and maybe even from this community) would you choose to invite to your dinner party?

In the spirit of sharing, here’s my four:

Nikola Tesla – I’d like to know if the rivalry between him and Edison was really as bitter as they say.

Elon Musk -  Anyone who can make a rocket take off and then land perfectly again is worth having an interesting chat with in my book!
Andy Millar‍  – I’ve never actually met Andy but we’ve had quite a few conversations online. It would be great to finally sit and have a chat in person. 
OMS‍  – I think we have a very similar taste in music so no complaints about the Dinner Party playlist there. ?

So... who’s coming to dinner at your house and why? 

Parents
  • Lisa Miles‍ My dinner list would be:

Valentina Tereshkova –Would love to hear more about her experience of being the first women in space on the Vostok 6 mission.

Amy Johnson – first British women to get her ground engineer’s ‘C’ licence. Although I’d want to hear all about her flight to Australia in 1930.

Professor R V Jones, physicist and scientific adviser to Churchill during WWII.  I met him at an IET Manchester Network (Branch) lecture and he was a fascinating speaker.  

Barnes Wallis -  I’d like to know about all the other engineering ideas he had spinning away in his mind that didn’t make it onto the drawing board and production.    

• Lisa Miles‍ My dinner list would be:

Valentina Tereshkova –Would love to hear more about her experience of being the first women in space on the Vostok 6 mission.

Amy Johnson – first British women to get her ground engineer’s ‘C’ licence. Although I’d want to hear all about her flight to Australia in 1930.

Professor R V Jones, physicist and scientific adviser to Churchill during WWII.  I met him at an IET Manchester Network (Branch) lecture and he was a fascinating speaker.  

Barnes Wallis -  I’d like to know about all the other engineering ideas he had spinning away in his mind that didn’t make it onto the drawing board and production.    

Children
No Data