IET Accreditation Vs a higher grade?

I have just completed my Mechanical Engineering degree and have a choice between two classifications now. 

To either accept a non-accredited degree with a 2:1, or to accept an IET accredited degree with a 2:2.

I am unsure which would be more beneficial, as I am unsure whether I want to achieve CEng status in the future. 

Which would be better in terms of graduate job opportunities?

• The following reply represent my views and not those of your Uni, the IET and EC as they may have different opinions.

First of all, I am assuming that you are referring to having completed your BEng (Hons) rather than MEng (Hons), in which case ignore reference to MSc below.

The ideal situation here would be to have your Uni issue you with an official letter - signed and sealed - saying that you have fully achieved the standard of an IET accredited BEng Honours degree at class 2:2, and that you have instead accepted the non-accredited degree at 2:1 in order that you can benefit from future career opportunities. The IET should then accept that you have partially meet the requirement for CEng, and that an additional partially accredited MSc taken in future would then fully complete the accreditation for CEng registration.

However, as will be stated by other members, you can still achieve CEng registration through degree (accredited or not) and/or suitable experience.

The other thing you could do is to ask your Uni if accepting a 2:2 accredited degree, would hamper your chances of being offered a place on an IET accredited (or not) MSc degree where a 2:1 or above is the normal minimum entry requirement? If the answer is yes, it will hamper you, then the best option would be to accept the 2:1 degree. 

Hope that helps.

• Given the amount of grade inflation that has occurred in UK degrees over the last few years, I wonder how seriously potential employers would take a 2.2.

• Definitely go for a 2.1. HR departments will draw a line under certain degree grades when sifting CVs, and you absolutely don't want to be filtered out of being considered for opportunities through that.

I couldn't say no employer considers IET accredited vs non-accredited, but personally I've never come across an employer who does. To be sure you could have a quick look at job ads to see if anyone you're interested in (or indeed anyone at all!) asks for accredited degrees.

As Mehmood says (he's seen me rant about this on these forums for very many years ?) going the non-accredited route won't harm your chances of getting CEng.

It does seem a bit odd though that they can offer you a 2.1 in one degree or a 2.2 in another.

Cheers,

Andy

(30+ years of recruiting engineers, and of battling HR departments who insist on trying to provide a “service” of preventing me seeing CVs unless the applicant has a certain degree grade…fortunately not my present employer!)  

• triciapat9: 

I have just completed my Mechanical Engineering degree and have a choice between two classifications now. 

To either accept a non-accredited degree with a 2:1, or to accept an IET accredited degree with a 2:2.

I am unsure which would be more beneficial, as I am unsure whether I want to achieve CEng status in the future. 

Which would be better in terms of graduate job opportunities?

Many congratulations to you for achieving a good honours degree.   

Like others who said I would prefer to choose a 2:1 honours degree as it gets you past the threshold for meeting the minimum entrance requirements for further learning e.g., a MSc or PhD qualifications. Not only the prospective employers will prefer a graduate with proven better abilities, it also opens doors for applying for scholarships and bursaries etc. Imagine if you are applying for a scholarship from another university, their admission office will not consider an IET accredited 2-2 degree is equivalent to a 2-1 degree.

However, it is the first time I have learned that a University provides the option for a student to choose what classifications they want.  My understanding of the classifications would be based on the average marks (or grades) obtained by a student. A 2:2 classification would mean the grade achieved is below the grade for 2:1 classification. Clearly if you can choose to get a 2:1 degree, but then for you to get the IET accreditation, the university has to downgrade you in order to satisfy the UK Spec and AHEP learning outcomes as required by the Engineering Council? Surely, if your average score in your 360 credits BEng degree course is at a 2:1 degree, you have proved your ability is at a 2:1 calibre under the general university regulations, why would the IET accreditation requires you to be downgraded to a 2:2 degree? I am confused why the IET accreditation committee will want to impose such a condition.

• Somewhere in the following links you'll find the answers to life, the universe and everything. It does remind me that despite being a newly qualified graduate level engineer, someone, somewhere still wants them to feel like they're still in nursery school: you've got to do what you're told, eat what you're given, and go to the loo only when they say so. But, if you're a fully grown, mature adult with considerable experience in engineering, a simple application form is acceptable.

The documents also indicate the amount of influence the IET and EC hold over university engineering departments, given that universities hold royal charters of their own and have considerable turnovers into billions of pounds sterlings, and yet the IET and EC have absolutely no influence over industry, the employers, and engineers. It's absolutely mind blowing how pretentious the PEIs and the EC have become. 

• Thank you so much for your reply.

My understanding is that the grading system for my university defers to that of IET. My university lowers the weight of lower graded module components, so higher graded modules are doubled weighted, before working out the final average. 

Whereas, IET do not do this. This is essentially why I have a choice of  which grading system I want my final classification to be with. I also believe that my degree was only accepted for IET accreditation within the past couple years, which is maybe why they have a different grading system still. 

• If the degree was only accredited within the last couple of years it could be another fly in the ointment - the accreditation only counts for students who start the course after the accreditation is awarded (or possibly for those who are in the first year at that time), which I know because a colleague found that his degree was not accredited as the accreditation was only awarded for students who started the year after him and forwards. That said, the fact that he only missed out by one year means that the IET will count the course as ‘nearly accredited’ so he will not be in the same situation as someone with a completely non-accredited degree.

The problem with your choice is it depends on the employer's bias. Some employers value the grade, in which case the 2-1 would probably be a better option, while others value the accreditation due to wanting their engineers to become Chartered (to the extent that they will not consider non-accredited degrees as the HR departments don't understand that it is not a barrier to CEng) in which case the 2-2 accredited will be the best option. There is also the subject of further learning mentioned by Tony above which also skews the choice.

My personal choice would probably be to take the 2-1, but if you have a particular job/employer you have in mind it would be beneficial to have a word with them to sound them out.

Best wishes for your success,

Alasdair

• This sounds pretty wild. A few thoughts:

• Did the university change the grading system specifically to comply with IET stipulations? (Forgive my ignorance if this isn't something the IET do).
    • What are the different titles of the degrees (for which all the modules and exam results are the same)? If you don't mind saying.
    • Was it clear to you from the beginning of your degree that there would be two alternative grading paths?

Advice: Take the 2.1. I doubt that when you come to apply for professional registration it will be concern, whereas I know many employers (including my last one) who throw out CVs with perfectly reasonable 2.2 degrees on, just as a method of filtering.

• Indeed this is quite strange given that EngC allows for experiential learning as a way of demonstrating underpinning knowledge and understanding.  As an oversees member, I once had my degree as meeting the educational requirement for another PEI (I still regret not joining CABE when they weren't licensed to register CEng?) 

Having read the UKSPEC from my perspective, an engineering degree without accreditation will most likely be evaluated as meeting educational requirement. So it's OK not have an accredited degree.  As has been mentioned earlier, a degree grade will be considered by HR and at graduate studies. 

I was pleased to read mbirdi's comments?. It's been a while since that “IEng discontinued” thread!