This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

IEng Application

I'm currently in the early stages of my IEng application and am struggling to determine on career manager the requirement asked with regards to my career history. Should I be providing a detailed career history of the last 30 years or just provide details how I think I've achieved the competencies required. Having watched the webinar I must admit the clarity wasn't there for me, my progression has stalled now until I receive some direction  

I've been assigned a Mentor but still awaiting an initial discussion for some guidance on this matter, I've recently finished a BSc (Hons) in Engineering Management (Non Accredited)  for the sole purpose of achieving IEng status, any assistance would be much appreciated.

Parents
  • Hi Mark,

As Alasdair says, you should provide a full career history.  However, you should keep the responsibilities and personal achievements for your early roles reasonably brief.  The guidance notes say somewhere around 3000 characters which is around 5 paragraphs, but this is not a hard goal or limit and you might need to be more thrifty if your application is approaching the 12-page limit.  The limit does not include the attachments, such as the accountability diagram, certificates, etc.  The guidance notes go on to state:

'Give an extended description of your current role, or the role that is most relevant to the 
    demonstration of your current competence, giving details of your responsibilities together 
    with any relevant metrics. You should aim to be very specific in your examples and if you 
    have held lots of different roles, you should select examples that best illustrate your 
    competence.'

Remember that the employment section is your only opportunity to demonstrate to the assessors that you possess and use the competencies deemed necessary for professional registration, so try to ensure that you include examples of your work that encompass as many of the competencies as you possibly can.

I'd also strongly recommend getting in touch with a PRA sooner rather than later.  It's so much easier to write an application correctly the first time than it is to do major corrections.

• Hi Mark,

As Alasdair says, you should provide a full career history.  However, you should keep the responsibilities and personal achievements for your early roles reasonably brief.  The guidance notes say somewhere around 3000 characters which is around 5 paragraphs, but this is not a hard goal or limit and you might need to be more thrifty if your application is approaching the 12-page limit.  The limit does not include the attachments, such as the accountability diagram, certificates, etc.  The guidance notes go on to state:

'Give an extended description of your current role, or the role that is most relevant to the 
    demonstration of your current competence, giving details of your responsibilities together 
    with any relevant metrics. You should aim to be very specific in your examples and if you 
    have held lots of different roles, you should select examples that best illustrate your 
    competence.'

Remember that the employment section is your only opportunity to demonstrate to the assessors that you possess and use the competencies deemed necessary for professional registration, so try to ensure that you include examples of your work that encompass as many of the competencies as you possibly can.

I'd also strongly recommend getting in touch with a PRA sooner rather than later.  It's so much easier to write an application correctly the first time than it is to do major corrections.

Children
No Data