This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Discuss readiness Fellow level

Last year I got my CEng through the IET and my Senior IEEE membership (SMIEEE) through the IEEE. I would like to discuss with some IET Fellows whether I would potentially qualify for Fellow; just to get a bit of a feeling where I am standing, Would that be possible? I don't have any Fellow in my direct network.

Parents
  • Hi Jeroen,

Actually Fellowship is somewhat independent of (e.g.) CEng and other institute statuses. The key is showing that you have significantly contributed to the world of engineering, so less about how you do your work and more about what you've achieved in it. So e.g. it might be showing you've created an important engineering innovation, or it might be that you've set up (or grown etc) a successful engineering business.

Having been through the process myself (and as many here know having spent FAR too long procrastinating before I did apply!) I do appreciate that it's hard to judge whether you're at the right level, and advice of "that experience is relevant, that isn't particularly" is really important. Best thing to do is:

1. Download the fellowship application pack and read through the criteria for the nine criteria, and pick the two or three you think apply to you (only two are needed), and then
    2. Draft an application and find a Fellowship advisor through the IET. They will help you identify the parts where you've hit the criteria, and those where you might need a bit more.

And don't expect to get it right first time! It is really really hard to judge yourself, so it's much easier for a Fellowship advisor who sees lots of applications to spot the good bits / bad bits.

But keep remembering: what have you ACHIEVED, not how have you done it!

Good luck,

Andy

• Thanks Andy!

Reply Children
No Data