This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Has anyone got experience of contracting for a company that is based in a foreign country?

Hi,

I am being offered the opportunity to work for a small company in Canada who have no UK business. They want me to be a contactor (based here in the UK) rather than fully employed as they don't want the trouble/cost of setting up a UK business just for one employee. I have never done contracting before, I have always been employed. I realise that they will need to pay me enough to make up for the lack of the goodies that I get on a salaried job, such as pension contributions, vacation, sick leave and so on. What I don't know is what other questions to ask.

I have asked how many people work there, I have asked how the company is funded as I think it's pretty new (2 years ish old) and possibly only 21 people working there. I do know 3 people who work there currently, 1 better than the other two. I have spoken to these people and they're all positive about the firm. I am more worried about the logistics of working in the UK for the foreign company possibly during a rough period when I comes to financial markets and exchange rates.

I suppose that I am asking you if you can tell me what I don't know.... I suspect that I am missing a lot here. Can you think of anything I should be asking or thinking about? 

Thanks for any suggestions or thoughts..

All the best,

Brendan

Parents
  • Get yourself organized for an hours chat with a local accountant who specializes in setting up new contractors in the UK and doing their tax returns and so on. The fact your customer is in Canada is a complication, but you could bill them  to be paid in pounds on the spot rate of the day the bill is sent, so the exchange risk is on their side.

But you need to be very clear of the UK side tax implications, and how you organize your own pension, national insurance, business running expenses, sick pay  etc.
    Also under certain conditions  a contractor with only one customer can be treated in law like an employee after so many months in the UK , so you may need to do some work for someone else at some point, even if it is one day a year.

Mike.

• Engaging an accountant sounds like great advice. The billing thing makes sense to me, trying to put the risk on them rather than me. I didn't know that a contractor cannot simply work for a single client in UK Law. That's interesting.  Thanks.

• Engaging an accountant sounds like great advice. The billing thing makes sense to me, trying to put the risk on them rather than me. I didn't know that a contractor cannot simply work for a single client in UK Law. That's interesting.  Thanks.

Children
No Data