This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Should an electrician have an Apple or an Android mobile device.

Should an electrician have an Apple or Android mobile device for all the apps they are now expected to use, such as those for EVSE?

Does it make any difference and do equipment manufacturers show any preference?

• Lisa, many thanks. As someone who always disables all the cookies and legitimate interest usage I am one of the others. I use an Macbook for main use, an Android phone, I cannot justify the price of a decent Apple phone,  and a steam driven desktop on W8 Pro to run the WIndows specific software and the odd look at the interweb. So I have a foot in most camps. I do not use the phone for accessing this site though as i have never worked out how to get to it from the IET main menu and I am too disorganised to remember to set it as a favourite when using one of the computers :(

It is interesting to see the dominance of Apple though.

•   If you're on a mobile and on the IET's main site, you'll see the IET sites tab in the top corner. Select that to view the list of other sites in the IET family, we're in there under IET EngX - online community. 

To add EngX to your mobile as an icon on your home screen: for Apple phones visit the website and select the sharing feature along the bottom of the web page and then select 'Add to home screen' in the list of options. Using Android devices (and google Chrome) select the three dot drop down menu in the top right corner then select 'Add to home screen' 

This will then place an icon on the home screen of your device for 'one click' access to the site as if it was an app Slight smile

Depending on which page you're on when you do this, you can add the main homepage or a specific area that you like to visit frequently. 

Hope that helps? 

• I confess that I am a “functional cookies only” person; I take the view that I provide information about myself and my actions only if it’s an advantage to me.  I do appreciate the information may be useful to you in monitoring what is going on.

I use an Android phone and Windows 10 laptop and also have an Apple iPad mini.  The iPad I only use when I need something more portable than the laptop but with a larger screen than my phone.  I have always had the opinion the Apple products were priced at a premium and not necessarily related to cost or worth, and relied heavily on kudos value.  Not essentially wrong but as boring engineer, not something I regarded highly.  In recent years market forces have brought more equality into play and the price difference is less obvious.

In my circle of colleagues those predominantly in the media are Apple users, where it is virtually de rigueur.   Among my engineering colleagues the Apple users are usually involved in publications or editing videos, the remainder, by far the majority, are Android users.

• Among my engineering colleagues the Apple users are usually involved in publications or editing videos,

Funny you should say that David... in my spare time (when I get any!) I'm a photographer, videographer, drone pilot, content creator, website designer etc etc Wink 

• Going from the back office reporting figures for EngX visitors, the most used mobile device for viewing the forums etc is the Apple iPhone followed by an Apple iPad.

That is scary!

I had to get something to replace a fairly elderly PC three or four years ago - it had become impossibly slow. I chose an iPad partly because I needed to be able to type in French - accents are a doddle and you can even get the text correction to do it for you.

Mostly, I have been very pleased with it, but I find it rather disturbing that you know what I am using right now.

• No need to be scared Chris.  The data captured is relatively generic and we couldn't personally identify any individual anyway! 

The behind the scenes data is fascinating and gives us some really good and valuable intell on vistors to our community. 

Going a bit off topic now but we saw a leap in the percentage of visitors using mobile devices to view the community during the Covid pandemic which has now dropped a little now everyone is back to working in an office. We can also see that our most popular day for visits is Tuesday too, and that activity drops off significantly over the weekend. This tells us that many community members visit us during the working week as opposed to the weekend. This is obvious of course being that we're a professional community of practice rather than a more 'social' one. So visitors will tend to drop by during working hours. Unless of course you're an Admin and pop in outside of normal hours every now and again to make sure things are still running smoothly... Wink

• The reason I've just moved away from an iPhone for my personal phone is that I was so cross that I couldn't install even most iPhone compatible apps on my previous, perfectly functional, iPhone because it wouldn't support the latest iOS. So now it's an iPhone for work (because that's what I've been given, and it's the company's problem to give me a new one every couple of years when Apple gets bored with supporting the old one Wink ) and Android for home. Yes I know Android devices eventually have the same problem but it seems to take longer.

But for anything IET, Windows Chrome and a nice big monitor every time. Ok, I might try accessing it on my Android tablet if I'm feeling very masochistic / lazy.

Oh, and iPhones don't have headphone sockets any more. Grrr, spit... (being an old analogue audio engineer!)

Cheers,

Andy

• They don't have a 3.5 jack plug anymore Andy but you can get an adapter so you can plug your headphones into it and then into the lightning connector they now have. My previous phone came with one but my new phone didn't. I still have my old one though so I'm using that. Notes Dancer tone2

• Oh, and iPhones don't have headphone sockets any more. Grrr, spit... (being an old analogue audio engineer!)

That's 'cos you are meant to buy some new bluetooth ones.

I know exactly what you mean about obsolescence. I wasn't able to use the NHS covid app, which was no bad thing. I might have to "upgrade" next year when 3G is switched off, but I very seldom use "data" in any event. What I don't want to pay for is all those fancy cameras. When I want to take a proper photograph, I use a proper camera. After all, you wouldn't want to make a phone call with a camera would you?

(Yes, I know, you can get a Leica phone.)

• I don’t know whether to laugh or cry at times.

During the last couple of weeks this Ipad updated to IOS 12.5.6 but that’s not enough for the Santander App, also Lloyds MBNA and Halifax Apps are losing some functions.

However the absolute classic is, I cannot use this IPad I am using to order a new IPad from the Apple Store website, because it can’t load it, presumably there’s thousands of IPad users who are in a same situation, but there isn’t anywhere locally where it is easy and straightforward to buy a replacement as they don’t stock cellular tablets and salespeople are not actually interested in selling that’s not in stock.