Alternative Fuel for Electric Cars - Is there one on the way?

The use of Petrol and Diesel is still most convenient but will electric driven cars ever replace them?. I think that a more acceptable replacement will and must be found; what is going on behind closed doors?.. 

Jaymack

Parents
  • So why do you consider batteries unacceptable?

Electric cars are a new technology (if you ignore the ones that were driving around over 100 years ago).  They are getting steadily better. For most purposes, there's now an EV that will do the job.  And if there isn't yet, then there's no technical reason why it can't be done.

The problems now are mostly down to charging infrastructure.  Public charging is too haphazard:

1. Chargers that are broken, and don't get fixed.
    2. Chargers that require random apps on your phone or special contactless cards.
    3. Chargers that are slower than advertised, because the electricity is being shared across too many chargers.
    4. Chargers where the price is excessive.  20% VAT on public chargers doesn't help (it's only 5% if I charge at home).  But some companies are just too greedy.
  • Simon,

Who is saying batteries are unacceptable?

What I did say and will state again is EV's will not be the single and only solution to vehicle transport. Simply given the huge amount of diffrent uses of the vehicle.

EV's will have a place, the charging infrastructure may get better if the DNO National grid can be upgraded. Also the many apps, well thats a commercial world, so no unfortunate single app accepted by all, guess thats why I have to carry a few diffrent credit card types.

The software is constantly being updated, so chargers go out of service during software upgrades also some in poor Mobile signal areas, also compatibility between very latest car running modern software but driver tries to charge at an older charger so they simply just dont talk to each other.

I have clients ripping out chargers less than three years old, because they cant support the required software and ability to charge the more modern EV's.

Just look at a iPhone or new Android phone and how often Apple, Samsung update their smartphones and how often we really need to change our phones andd that is exactly what is happening with the chargers out there.

The market hasnt settled and in a state of flux. there will be a mix of energy sources for vehicles.

EV has its place, I drive 35 - 40K a year on busness around the UK so EV isnt appropriate for me. I can get over 600 Miles to a tank of Diesel in my Euro 6 1.5 Diesel engine.

Hydrogen will and is starting to make an impact on the heavier vehicles and those that run large fleets of smaller vans.

e-fuel will be a game changer for sure and will be out there for the masses.

Unfortunately will not be the 100% EV eutopia people think will happen.

GTB 

• For smaller vehicles, hydrogen is a failed experiment.  The early adopters in California are now seeing the few filling stations closing down as there isn't the demand.  Where they can fill up, the price of hydrogen is higher than gasoline.

E-fuels are a pointless distraction by car manufacturers who aren't ready to switch.  The fuel isn't going to be cheap, so nobody will want to buy vehicles using it.  It's the same as biodiesel - it's a niche fuel because we don't have enough waste oil to turn into biodiesel.  If you start using non-waste products to make it, the price is too high to bother.

People already do long distance driving in electric vehicles.  You need to get the right one, with a decent range, and ultra-rapid charging.  Then learn where the decent charging hubs are around the country.  If you only stop every 3 hours, that's about 180 miles - well within the range of many cars.  Plug in, take a comfort break, have a snack and a drink, and it's time to unplug and head off again.

• I assume you mean

decent charging hubs

In England

I can image that it is not the same is Wales or Scotland.  I done a few jobs a while back north of Inverness in Brora and I would say an EV would give me anxiety if it was a rental.  I can just see it now,  range 150 miles turn on the heating in winter and the range would probably drop to 60miles or less.  Probably worse if you need to use the windowscreen heaters.  Additional things to consider is the mobile phone network for the apps and finding places to charge are/would be sporadic.  This could be further compounded when the weather turns bad and roads get closed.  However as a local they will just take this in their stride and get on with things.  The NE of Scotland is stunning all year round and I would definitly recommend seeing it by road. 

They same probably holds true for the Hebrides.  Again more stunning locations to visit by road.  I went to Islay several times.  I covered a lot of Scotland and the islands by car working and with a full tank of Petrol/Diesel was never having to factor in the range.  So when EVs quote 450 plus miles ranges things will change.  Also the price of EVs needs to come down.

• If your car only does 150 miles, you bought the wrong one.  I recently bought a nearly-new Renault Zoe.  Not exactly state of the art as it was a model about to be discontinued.  But it has a WLTP range of 235 miles, and I can realistically get 190 to 200 miles out of it even in winter.  The down-side of that particular car is the pitifully slow "rapid" charging, which is unlikely to go over about 45kW even in ideal conditions.  But I can live with that as I rarely go beyond the range of the car.

But if you actually want to do long distance motoring a lot, buy a Tesla, so you can use all of their charging network, and don't have to muck about with all the different payment methods.

• Well when you are going really well off track you'd put a jerry can or two on the roof, along with a second spare wheel and a tent. Drinking water and food inside.

I'm not sure what the electrical equivalent would be. EVs are going to have to really be a 1st world townie thing for now. I quite like the electric motorbikes with removable batteries, but to scale that idea for a car is not easy - you'd need loads of them. Currently 30AHr and 50V per lump..

Mike

PS I'm pretty sure a roof rack of fuel or lithium batteries is considered an unsafe load in the UK, but I'm thinking of places that no one worries too much about UK traffic law - perhaps that includes a few places in the UK as well ;-) .

• Well when you are going really well off track you'd put a jerry can or two on the roof, along with a second spare wheel and a tent. Drinking water and food inside.

I'm not sure what the electrical equivalent would be. EVs are going to have to really be a 1st world townie thing for now. I quite like the electric motorbikes with removable batteries, but to scale that idea for a car is not easy - you'd need loads of them. Currently 30AHr and 50V per lump..

Mike

PS I'm pretty sure a roof rack of fuel or lithium batteries is considered an unsafe load in the UK, but I'm thinking of places that no one worries too much about UK traffic law - perhaps that includes a few places in the UK as well ;-) .

Children
No Data