Switch Disconnector for UPS causing RCCB Trip

Hi, First time on the forum.

I am working on a UPS that is connected via a 4P disconnector switch (Socomec Sirco M AC-21A)

Upstream in series to the Disconnector Switch is a 4P 40AT MCCB and a RCCB-AC.

When I switch off the disconnector switch the RCCB tripped.

When I switch off using 4P MCCB, the RCCB is not tripped.

The UPS is a dual input type but we are looping the single source to Mains and Aux. input

What am I looking at that is causing the RCCB trip and why the MCCB did not cause the same issue?

Parents
  • Without seeing it it is not obvious, but I'd start by looking to see if there is a breaking order to the poles. It is possible that the switch that trips is not breaking neutral last and making it first, and the one that does not cause a trip always avoids a 'flying neutral' condition, such that on one or more phases is connected and neutral is not.

On 4 pole switchgear with one intentional  'late' pole, that is specifically labelled 'N' - whereas if all poles break together, then there is no such indication, and at the millisecond level , what happens first is a lottery each time.

Even so this is only a problem where there is a significant capacitance between neutral and earth (or of course a direct connection, but that would probably trip all the time and you would have found it by now) During the sudden step in neutral to earth voltage, there is a charging of that capacitance, and the RCD-like part of the trip sees an imbalance.

The problem is that this is a transient effect and quite hard to prove, and worse may not always happen every time...

It may well not be sensible, but (only!) if it is safe to try, then bypassing the neutral pole of the offending switch with a solid link, and then seeing if the trip no longer occurs will at least clinch it as that mechanism.

What you do next if that is or is not the case, of course is another matter.

Mike.

• Hi Mike,

Thanks, I think you got the right cause in that it is likely that the disconnector switch is opening the neutral at the same time or slightly before the Phases are disconnected.

Currently we have this repeated over multiple sites and it seems consistent that the disconnecting switch is the only item that is causing the RCCB trip.

Will try the bypass after consulting with the upstream/supply Person In Charge.

I guess the easiest solution would be to change the 4th Pole config to a Solid Neutral link config. (SIRCO M seem to have this option) 

Do you think a change in RCCB to a S (Delay) type will solve this symptomatically assuming it is a transient issue?

You mentioned about breakers with intentionally late Neutral, would this not be true for Circuit Breakers in general or is it something we need to specify? Where would I see or how can I verify this when selecting a product?

Regards

• Well if it works with 3 poles and solid N, and your safety case allows, it may be best/simplest to do that permanently. If there  is a specific offset contact made for neutral switching or not seems to be a bit pot luck - some makes seem very attuned and the catalogue mentions it as a matter of course, others seem to have never even heard of the problem. I suspect you will have to chat to the makers reps to find out if they do not highlight it. It is most serious on rural overhead TT, where you really do want to isolate the N during servicing.

(not quite what you need but shows how some makers refer to it.)

I'm not au fait with sirco at all I'm afraid - it may be best to call them and ask what they do.

Mike.

• Well if it works with 3 poles and solid N, and your safety case allows, it may be best/simplest to do that permanently. If there  is a specific offset contact made for neutral switching or not seems to be a bit pot luck - some makes seem very attuned and the catalogue mentions it as a matter of course, others seem to have never even heard of the problem. I suspect you will have to chat to the makers reps to find out if they do not highlight it. It is most serious on rural overhead TT, where you really do want to isolate the N during servicing.

(not quite what you need but shows how some makers refer to it.)

I'm not au fait with sirco at all I'm afraid - it may be best to call them and ask what they do.

Mike.

Children
No Data