This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Ohhh Jeremy Corbyn

Seriously. Are there any engineers who are passionate about Jeremy Corbyn?

• I was very interested to read about Jeremy Corbyn's background and family, thanks for that.  I am one of those who joined a party for the first time thanks to him. A school chum and lifelong Labour activist tipped me off, before this Corbyn was unknown to me.
  • Arran

IMHO we should always be willing to listen and engage constructively, unless doing so might legitimise disrespect towards our members, or damage our reputation. For example, the IET has taken a leading role in promoting a better gender balance in engineering and diversity more broadly.

Common sense would suggest that we focus on those who could potentially affect the issues that matter most to us and on which we are well-qualified to offer advice. Jeremy Corbyn is simply The Leader of Her Majesty’s Opposition. The other two names are both politicians, one an MEP.  I hope that my earlier comments about Jeremy Corbyn did not seem disrespectful, they were intended in lighter vein. The characterisation that you offer (perhaps not your own) is just political “knock about”. I can’t see how this is relevant to the IET. One of the MPs who nominated Jeremy Corbyn for the Labour Leadership is a Chartered Engineer and IET Fellow.       

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    A couple of points to hopefully enrich the debate:
    • The profile of a JC supporter is clearly more nuanced than is often presented, both here and in the media. Here's a fun read!

• Regardless of my personal views on JC and the party, it can only be a good thing that he has engaged more young people into politics.

• It is clear that he's upsetting a lot of the establishment and corners of the media. Again, regardless of my views, I find it interesting to see what he has provoked.

• I'm always fascinated to read comments attempting to define what is and isn't mainstream. Some think "mainstream" is synonymous with "centrist" and for others it's synonymous with "popular". The thing which I keep in mind is that politics is more complicated than the linear far left - centre left - centrist - centre right - far right spectrum we are presented with, and that what's perceived as the "centre ground" is quite open to manipulation.

Re: actual engineering. I wonder what effect renationalising railways and utilities would have on engineers.

• David Houssein:

The thing which I keep in mind is that politics is more complicated than the linear far left - centre left - centrist - centre right - far right spectrum we are presented with, and that what's perceived as the "centre ground" is quite open to manipulation.

Very true. I consider the one-dimensional left right spectrum to be inaccurate and outdated.

Americans are even worse as they subdivide society into two distinct camps of liberal and conservative with no third alternative and no middle ground.

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    I think a lot of political influencers are motivated to keep the linear spectrum as the foundation of debate. It allows them to be divisive and position opponents as extreme.
  • I think these things are circular, go far enough one way and you come out on the other side. Extreme left and right have very little between them.

• David Houssein:

I think a lot of political influencers are motivated to keep the linear spectrum as the foundation of debate. It allows them to be divisive and position opponents as extreme. 

My mother's background is politics and economics. She says that the British political establishment, the mainstream media, and even large sections of the academic community rigidly adhere to this linear spectrum for their own convenience. There are alternative political compasses but none have received widespread acceptance outside of academic communities and nonestablishment political movements.