This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Cooling towers on power stations - why?

Hi All

I was working on a power station in Oman last month and it was gas fired with condensing steam turbines - no evaporation.  This week I'm working on a coal fired one in Poland, which has cooling towers and evaporation.  Is it something to do with the gas or just that they have no water in Oman?

Thanks

Stephen

• 663668cff2d7e2421b3a19cc032e35f9-huge-1l-image.jpg

[Credit: Mitsui]

Good, some facts!

"The plant will be equipped with Ansaldo GT26 class gas turbines, with a net generating capacity of 235MW each, and two steam turbines with a capacity of 284MW each. The project will also comprise four boilers".

So somewhat bigger than I speculated and about 1,000 MW of waste heat to dump!

" Ansaldo Energia will supply the main power train equipment components, including, for each power plant, four GT26 gas turbines, four heat recovery steam generators, two steam turbines and six turbo generators, to SEPCOIII (Shandong Electric Power Construction Corp) of China "

• James, Alasdair & Maurice, it seems to me that you have described the heart of the issue. Thermal efficiency, or the amount of potential energy turned into electricity relative to that wasted to the environment, was incredibly important to the CEGB, with small percentages gains, worth huge sums of money saved because of the scale involved.  The general justification for what seems perhaps to the initiated a great waste of potential energy, was that we were turning “low grade energy” into “high grade energy” with many more uses.

Perhaps the first stirrings of concern over Fossil Fuel based generation came from “acid rain” in Scandinavia, alleged to be caused by UK power stations rather than the more recent issue of CO2 and global warming.  So the response was Flue Gas Desulphurisation retrofits, including at Ratcliffe on Soar.  

As an aside, I found myself surprised when post-privatisation, when I saw the industry described by financial analysts as a “stable low tech business”. It seemed anything but “low tech” to me, as at the time when I entered the industry, a new fleet of large power stations was coming on stream using the latest technology?

To reinforce the point about means to dissipate heat, this is a summary about somewhere that I was familiar with. As a child I used to fish near the warm water outlets, but only briefly worked on during its dying days.  

Work commenced on the generating station in 1929 and its first stage was operational by 1932. It was completed in 1939, with a final capacity of 200,000 KW. Large plant components and subsequently coal and iron was brought to the power station by rail, and there was a complex of sidings for the storage of power station traffic. The main buildings were steel-framed with a filling of brickwork. Initially it had three, and ultimately six, chimneys each 276 ft high, but cooling towers were not needed at this stage as it had an adequate system of direct cooling from the river.   

Some early Power Stations used the canals.

• Coal fired power stations installed Flue Gas Desulphurisation plants, passing the flue gas through limestone, to remove sulphur dioxide.  Initially this was an expensive exercise until someone found out that by forcing the oxidation a little further the end by-product was about 97% pure gypsum which could be sold to make plasterboard.  In the UK alone at least 500,000 tons per year of it is used in this way.  The FGD gypsum comes from power stations all over Europe who sell this by product to the plasterboard manufacturers for a tidy sum.
  • That's interesting, I know also that the ash is used in construction somehow.

Stephen

• Stephen Biddle:

That's interesting, I know also that the ash is used in construction somehow.

Stephen

Breeze blocks https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concrete_masonry_unit  can be made out of power station ash, with added cement.
  • The picture of the power station in Oman is using an air cooled condenser as against a cooling tower, which is historically more common in the UK. Both can be used by coal fired power stations and CCGT plants like the one in Oman. The third alternative is direct cooling, usually using seawater, but can be from lakes or rivers if the supply is adequate.

Direct cooling is the most efficient, followed by cooling towers, with air cooled condensers being the least efficient.

All UK nuclear power stations are direct cooled, but cooling towers are used in other parts of the world.

Modern UK CCGT power stations with cooling towers use the lower height forced air type i.e. they have a fan, rather than parabolic shaped type, which are more efficient, but more expensive.

The choice of cooling used for nuclear, coal, oil, gas and CCGT plants depends on water availability, environmental constraints and cost. The three cooling technologies will work in each case.

Lynton

• I worked on the West Midlands power stations in the '70s and was told by one of the Scientific Services engineers that one of the cooling towers at Rugeley was a dry one whilst the remainder were wet. The dry one was also used as a spares store.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    There are proposals for extracting power from the small temperature difference between surface and deep ocean water in places like Hawaii, using ammonia as a working fluid. Surely a coal-fired power station has much higher residual heat than that. So why not put an ammonia-cycle turbine or Sterling engine on the back end instead of blowing all that heat away as steam? You could do the same with any significant waste heat, be it from a steam turbine or a diesel.
  • Cooling water leaving the condenser of a steam turbine is at about 30 degrees centigrade. Extracting useful energy from this is expensive in capital terms. A CHP plant provides heat, hot water or steam, at a higher temperature, but at the cost of reducing the amount of electricity generated i.e. the electricity generating part of the cycle is less efficient, but if the heat is used effectively the overall cycle is more efficient.

At one time Drax power station's cooling water was used for heating greenhouses growing vegetables, tomatoes I think, but it wasn't economic and stopped.

Lynton
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Or use cooling towers for community heating systems for homes, sports centres, pre-heating water for domestic and commercial use, etc, instead of venting valuable steam into the air as 'cloud factories' as my children used to call them?