This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Ethics: Are we misusing the terms "master-slave". Do we even have a community / forum in which we can discuss this?

The recent world wide considerations of the diversity challenges in our society has highlighted that we in Engineering can be perpetuating some of the derogatory terms implicit within our use of "Master-Slave" for purely inanimate technical control scenarios. [1 - N]

We have policies on slavery that every volunteer, staff member and Trustee must read and abide to, but it appears we haven't noticed, to any significant extent, our own continued use of "slave" in our writings.

Do we even have a community or forum in which we can discuss this ethical, and publishing issue?

Philip Oakley

[1] https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53273923

[2] http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3243656.stm

[3] https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53050955

[4 ] http://www.jstor.com/stable/40061475   "Broken Metaphor: The Master-Slave Analogy in Technical Literature"

[5] https://www.theiet.org/involved/volunteering-for-the-iet/volunteer-hub/our-policies/anti-slavery-policy/

Aside: Is there some tick box to get notifications of replies sent?

• but I think you may have missed an important event regarding the iet and it’s attitude towards its online community, it has for the last 10 years or so been literally bulldozing through previously active sectors of its online community, and seems to have done all it can to stem the free sharing of opinions and information openly,  hence the reason your topic views number will be embarrasingly low, now at a whopping 57 views, perhaps lobbying the iet twitter or Facebook account might be more productive in your quest?

I think that one is for a separate thread.

I suspect that the change was part of a change in management culture at the time to flatter structures, and the use of 'managers' across the whole of commerce and industry. There was also some changes in Charities guidance and legislation that had broader impacts on management styles (small Trustees board, etc).
  • Sorry Philip I agree with OMS, I have never seen the terms as derogatory and having worked with folk of colour on site they have also used these terms showing no sign of issue in doing so. We use master and slave when installing voice outlets, not so much now to be honest as systems have changed but they are still available. What I am seeing is, this is in no way aimed at you personally, a lot of white folk finding issue with words and terms that can be seen as derogatory to folk of colour but not all folk of colour will have that same issue as they can easily see it is simply a term and not someone pointing a finger and calling them names. Our society seems to be losing focus on the real issues and seems desperate to be seen to be doing "something" to stop the offended claiming society isn't doing anything, trouble is the "something" isn't ever going to solve the real problem.

If a company feels that the terms are inappropriate then fine, stop using them in its systems, does it need to announce it publically that this is what they intend to do? Does that help anyone or anything other than the PR image of that company?

• Philip Oakley:

Philip, how does avoiding use of the word help those who have suffered or do suffer from slavery?

Ahh, the 'facemask' conundrum.  You are pushing the wrong end of the piece of string. It's the deliberate and potentially malicious use of the word to pretend that those who have 'slave' ancestry are to be considered as simply inanimate objects by association that is the issue. At some point it's simply a level of indifference to the effect on others.

In essence it's no different to having children clean under the working looms in the mills of the past. Children were cheap, easily produced and disposable..  Not.

We have better alternatives, lets use them. E2, E1, D1-3, etc.

Philip, you have a very odd perspective, at least from my point of view. My use of the term "slave" to describe the behaviour of an inanimate object in no way encourages or supports slavery. I don't believe that eradicating the word does anything to eradicate the phenomenon, it simply sweeps it under the carpet.

• Gordon Beauchamp:

Sorry Philip I agree with OMS, I have never seen the terms as derogatory and having worked with folk of colour on site they have also used these terms showing no sign of issue in doing so. We use master and slave when installing voice outlets, not so much now to be honest as systems have changed but they are still available. What I am seeing is, this is in no way aimed at you personally, a lot of white folk finding issue with words and terms that can be seen as derogatory to folk of colour but not all folk of colour will have that same issue as they can easily see it is simply a term and not someone pointing a finger and calling them names. Our society seems to be losing focus on the real issues and seems desperate to be seen to be doing "something" to stop the offended claiming society isn't doing anything, trouble is the "something" isn't ever going to solve the real problem.

If a company feels that the terms are inappropriate then fine, stop using them in its systems, does it need to announce it publically that this is what they intend to do? Does that help anyone or anything other than the PR image of that company?

We have the same issue with many updated safety practices where those with years of custom and practice experiences feel that what they do doesn't hurt or injure anyone. It's only later, after the small changes that, sometimes, they appreciate where the improvement occurred and why there was an issue with the old customs. real issues are resolved by the slow steady improvement in the environment. There's not a silver bullet solution.

I'd be happy to hear of your other improvements and solutions to the 'real' problems.
  • Alex Barrett:

Philip, you have a very odd perspective, at least from my point of view. My use of the term "slave" to describe the behaviour of an inanimate object in no way encourages or supports slavery. I don't believe that eradicating the word does anything to eradicate the phenomenon, it simply sweeps it under the carpet.

Who said anything about eradicating the word used to describe a person who is "the legal property of another and who is bound to absolute obedience".

We outlawed that nearly two hundred years ago, though promoted and profited from it for even longer before that. Now we engineers have been saying a slave is just another bit of secondary kit. Let's stop that false association.

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Basically Phil, because we are talking about inanimate objects ?

Wasn't it engineers who ultimately ended slavery in your context - once the engineers succeeded in getting a ton of welsh anthracite out of the ground economically, built the ships to take it to the plantations economically, built the engines to do mechanical work etc economically ie, at a price less than feeding the workforce then slavery was ended.

Personally speaking, IET should probably be more concerned with the tech transfer that is enabling modern slavery rather than a whole lot of hand wringing because my great, great , great , great grandad was unpleasant to someone else's great, great, great great grandad and we might be thought of as inherently nasty chaps because we use a master- slave description for inanimate objects that is basically true. eg, my car brake slave cylinders are totally bound to the absolute obedience of the braking master cylinder

Regards

OMS
  • Philip Oakley:

Who said anything about eradicating the word used to describe a person who is "the legal property of another and who is bound to absolute obedience".

We outlawed that nearly two hundred years ago, though promoted and profited from it for even longer before that. Now we engineers have been saying a slave is just another bit of secondary kit. Let's stop that false association.

You are suggesting that we avoid this word, aren't you?

I do agree that this is a false association. Referring to the behaviour of an inanimate object has no connection to the exploitation of people.

• Thanks Philip Oakley‍ for raising the issue. As your linked articles point out, these changes are happening in the world around us. 

This video was recently shared by our ED&I Manager here at the IET. It seems there is room for discussion, even here at the IET.
  • Evanna Gale:

... It seems there is room for discussion, even here at the IET. 

Thanks Evanna, It may be a long journey, but we need to start with some first steps.

• Alex Barrett:
    Now we engineers have been saying a slave is just another bit of secondary kit. Let's stop that false association.

You are suggesting that we avoid this word, aren't you?

I do agree that this is a false association. Referring to the behaviour of an inanimate object has no connection to the exploitation of people.

True, the use of a false association allows inaccuracies and misunderstandings to creep in, sometimes with undesired consequences. We remove wrong words in many scenarios. E.g. in aviation they don't say "climb to 4,000ft" because "to" could be "2".

At the time that the first Engineering uses of Master-Slave began we were a much more racist society, and it's showing down through history.

Hopefully a reasonable set of guidelines can be framed.