This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

How do we make Smart Motorways safer?

Former Community Member
Former Community Member

Smart Motorways bring significant benefits, as they have been designed and implemented to address recurrent congestion on heavily used sections of motorways. We submitted a response to the Transport Select Committee on the roll-out and safety of smart motorways.

Our view is that firstly, safety can be improved by reducing the number of times vehicles stop on motorways and then improving how they are detected, and other drivers then warned and instructed, as illustrated in this diagram. 

72ba677680cffc513876a145d8a88a22-huge-ssd4011-smart-motorways-infographic-v4.jpg
Smart Motorways Infographic.pdf

In order to achieve this we believe that the Government should:

• Think users: through more training and increasing vehicle roadworthiness.

• Make use of what is there already: using sat nav for in-vehicle messaging and services such as Waze, to alert drivers.

• Safeguard the future: through learning lessons from other transport modes.

We have also written a blog on this topic with more information: How do we make Smart Motorways safer?

We are interested in your thoughts on making Smart Motorways more safe, our proposed solutions, or if there is anything that we've missed. Please log in to your IET Community account to share your comments.

• All the rules, laws and technology in the world won't change the public's behaviour without some enforcement.

The rot really set in when the Highways Agency took over motorway patrolling from the Police, supposedly to save money (haha).  Now they sit in their £40K 4x4s at the services with their engines running waiting for an incident.  At least Police officers could be doing useful enforcement of moving traffic offences and were available to support all other policing activities instead of sitting around.

Smart motorways should be conditional on the provision of much faster response from the HA.  Especially the removal of notifications.  My personal straw pole of matrix signs suggests they are wrong approximately 70 to 80% of the time due to being in the wrong place, typically after the incident, or in the wrong carriageway, or most often simply not cancelled for hours (personal record was 5 hours after I knew the incident was cleared as I had stopped for it and I saw the same warnings still showing when I returned later).

We kill around 3000 people a year on the roads (2020 excepted).  The majority of these deaths are entirely avoidable.  Think what the pressure on the aviation industry would be if 10 A380s a year crashed in the UK!  Sadly the political will isn't there to upset the electorate by compelling them to raise their driving standards.  Think of the boost to public transport if the drivers who couldn't understand a lane closure sign lost their licence!

Dave.

former ADI, Examiner, RoSPA Instructor.

• Since no reply was made to my request for the document link a few days ago, I have found it:
    https://www.theiet.org/impact-society/government-policy-and-submissions/submissions-archive/the-roll-out-and-safety-of-smart-motorways-2021/

Published 9 April.

The document is a whitewash, no real reference to the Deaths caused so far and those that will follow because of the fundamentally flawed roll out.

• I apologise, you had provided the link, I didn't see it.