This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

PRA request declined

Hi all. I am currently filling in my application for CEng on Career Manager and am getting to the point where guidance from a PRA would be useful. I used the Find a PRA page on the IET site to request one but had a few days later on November 29th saying that the PRA they had found me had decided I did not have enough experience. No further details were given. The email said someone from the mentoring team would be in touch to get me setup with a mentor but I've not heard back on that.

My question is two-fold. Firstly, would it be appropriate to use the Find a PRA page again to ask for a different PRA, given that the first one refused? Secondly, I have a BEng, MSc and a couple of years of experience in industry, including in leadership roles. While I understand that this is a lot less experience than many CEng applicants, I have read several times that there is no particular set of qualifications or number of years of experience required. I am wondering what sort of experience they think I'm missing and how they would have come to that conclusion so I can fix it for next time (although I appreciate this is probably difficult to answer without seeing my Career Manager profile).

Thanks

William

Parents
  • Thank you all for your insightful replies. I should add that I have now noticed that I did actually receive an email from the mentoring team, I just missed it at the time, so I'm getting the form filled in for that.

Andy, I appreciated the detail on the role difference between mentors and PRAs. My understanding had been that PRAs were there to help you understand the competencies and to work out with you what experience you have to cover each one, but it seems that's actually more the mentor's job. I'll email the professional registration team (for anyone reading this later, profreginfo@theiet.org) to see if they can put me in touch with a new PRA.

Thanks again!

William

• Thank you all for your insightful replies. I should add that I have now noticed that I did actually receive an email from the mentoring team, I just missed it at the time, so I'm getting the form filled in for that.

Andy, I appreciated the detail on the role difference between mentors and PRAs. My understanding had been that PRAs were there to help you understand the competencies and to work out with you what experience you have to cover each one, but it seems that's actually more the mentor's job. I'll email the professional registration team (for anyone reading this later, profreginfo@theiet.org) to see if they can put me in touch with a new PRA.

Thanks again!

William

Children
No Data