Development of eco-friendly passive fire resistant geopolymer material from construction demolition waste

PDF

• Hi Ponsian

May I ask what the question is that you’re asking here? I’m afraid I don’t understand Relaxed

• This material seems far too heavy to have any practical use:

- a sugar cube size amount weighing in at a tonne and a half? - unless of course that's a typo in the Abstract.

The obvious follow on question would be how could such material be attached to a building structure (or have other items attached to it) which raises questions about its tensile (rather than just compressive) strength and compatibility with other materials.

-  Andy.

• Wow! Are we on a white dwarf star vying to become a black hole? Yes it is a typo. Read on and see the table at the end. It should read kg per cubic metre.

• INormal cement and is around 2.5 kg/m^2  .  This is made of 5parts stone 2 parts sand and 1 part cement.

What is being proposed I think is that instead of using cement which is cooked limestone we use a fire resistant polymer and old crushed glass ceramics and tiles as the ballast.

My question is why not make breeze blocks from the scrap ballast and avoid polymer?  

The answer  could be the thermal insulation rating for house building is better.  Hope the OP PonsianR will enlighten us soon.

• INormal cement and is around 2.5 kg/m^2 

Surely a d.p. slip there too...?

- Andy.

• Solids are all within one order of magnitude of being Tons per cubic metre, kg per litre or grams per cc.

Less than one floats, more than 1 sinks. 

Fresh air has about ten times the spacing between the atoms as a solid so is about 1000 times lighter, say 1kg per cubic metre at sea level.

Have folk no automatic feel for the scale of the universe they inhabit? You'd not try to live on 3 calories or 3 million calories a day, or would you ?

If some thing that elementary that is wrong, I would suspect rigour of  the rest of it as well.

The basic conclusion, that reasonably strong paste moulded blocks can be made from crushed bricks and crushed ceramic tiles,  and that once dried they do not burn or fall apart at temperature is not exactly a surprise. The cost of making the paste and moulding it into useful shapes for building use however is not addressed.

Mike.

• My apologies, Of course one cubic metre of water weighs one metric ton. 1,000 kg.    

• SI units! Distance is the metre. Mass is the kilogram. So the SI unit for density is kilograms per cubic metre. Less than 1 000 floats. More than 1 000 sinks. I once had a hydrometer for testing car battery charge. Though many years ago it was calibrated in SI units, e.g. 1 270. There does seem to be some fascination with the idea that that very common substance, water, has a density of one, and various common units provide that value. But that is the beauty of the metric system - units are easily scalable.

• Sorry, It's a typo  its density ranges 1430-1570kg/m3