Certification/training required for domestic electrical installations for a chartered engineer

Hi all,

This is my first post on here, although I've been a member of the IET for a number of years. I have a question which may seem basic but the WWW doesn't give any clear advice.

I have a 1st class masters degree in electrical and electronic engineering, and also hold chartered engineer status with the IET (for 6 years now). Despite this, I know I am not permitted to carry out any domestic electrical installations. So my question is, what certification/training is required to allow me to carry out this work based on the qualifications that I already hold? Ideally, I'd also like to get on to a competent person scheme to allow self certification as well. 

Many thanks in advance

Parents Reply
  • I am very much hands on with my home renovations and regularly help friends out, but I'd like to be able to self certify my own work. I am completely competent, I just can't assign a test certificate and self certify. 

    Understood. I reckon that you need to do at least 3 notifiable pieces of work to make membership of a CPS worthwhile.

    Let's make it clear - you can test and certify new work and you can test and report on an existing installation. What you cannot do is notify except as others have said, through the LA, which can be expensive.

No Data