Requirements for Certification and Licensing in Domestic Electrical Installations

As a chartered electrical engineer with over 15 years of experience, I am seeking clarification on the necessity of certification or licensing for domestic electrical installations.

  • No.1 requirement is for competence (as distinct from qualifications). In principle anyone, without any qualifications, is permitted to carry out domestic electrical work in general. There are a few procedures to follow however, some of which depends on exactly which part of the UK the installation is in...

    Domestic electrics in general come under part P of the building regulations in England - which requires certain work (e.g. new circuits, consumer unit replacement or new work in zones of a bathroom or sauna) to be "notified" - which involves paying a fee to a building control organisation, who will check the work, and issue a completion certificate.  Professional electricians may join a competent persons scheme which allows them to self-certify for building regs (and avoids the expensive fee). Wales is similar, but with a slightly different version of part P. Scotland has a different system altogether, but I think similar outcomes. NI is different again.

    For private rented homes, there's an additional layer of legislation - the Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector Regulations (in England at least).

    Overall though, BS 7671 is main thing to follow - some of the details are quite different for domestic installations from say commercial or industrial - so deep knowledge in another area doesn't guarantee competence in domestic work. BS 7671 of course requires issuing of a certificate for all new work - which is quite separate from the building control certification, and should be done regardless of whether the work is notifiable under building regs or not.

        - Andy.

  • Dear Andy

    Thank you for detailed information