This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

CEng - Benefits to your industry?

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
Persuading your employers that it's a good thing to invest in! What do THEY get out of it?
Parents
  • Hi,

Derek Wellington didn't mention me by name, but I'm the Competence Developer - Professional (Posh title eh) that JLR took on nearly 12 months ago to help drive professional registration across the business. It's been an interesting year and I truly believe my professional registration and involvement in mentoring has helped me and many others get through some very tough months.

Compered to some registered engineers I'm a late developer achieving EngTech in 2011 by virtue of Rank and Trade as I left the RAF. Then achieving IEng in 2014 with the IMechE and Fellow of the IMechE in 2017. What of it though kudos to me, but what Did JCB and now JLR get from me being registered?
    • A very detailed SWOT analysis of my competence as I went through the application process for IEng and Fellow
      • Not really applicable for my EngTech due to the Armed forces route

• Perhaps a little more thought in my decisions making process, because I've got a whole load of rules and codes to abide by that a non-registered engineer might not have heard of
      • More to lose too if I do something wrong and get struck off the register

• Report writing and reviewing skills that make day to day work easier and more efficient. The limited space on EngTech applications certainly helped develop my undergraduates' report writing skills as they completed a year in industry

• My mentoring skills have improved, which in turn helps other mentors and future mentors

• Access to vast amounts of research, journals, books, seminars and all other types of CPD though the IET library and numerous IET Networks

• A Trusted engineer who has been independently verified against an internationally recognised specification who has to maintain their knowledge and competence
      • This trust in a professional Engineer is what allowed me to take a huge risk leaving a growing business to join a company which, as I signed my contract, was not doing very well

• The ability for me as an Engineer or my employer to stand up in a court of law, should the worst happen, and say that they ensured the independently verified competence of the company's engineers through professional registration in the relevant category (ICTTech, EngTech, IEng or CEng)

Engineering as an industry spend huge amounts of money on training, but tying it all together in professional registration gives these separate items something to bond to like the matrix material in Carbon Fibre Re-enforced Composite providing the bond tying he threads of carbon together. The matrix doesn't provide much strength, but without it the fibres wouldn't have direction or control.

Good luck with you application Benson

Kind Regards

Simon
  • Hi,

Derek Wellington didn't mention me by name, but I'm the Competence Developer - Professional (Posh title eh) that JLR took on nearly 12 months ago to help drive professional registration across the business. It's been an interesting year and I truly believe my professional registration and involvement in mentoring has helped me and many others get through some very tough months.

Compered to some registered engineers I'm a late developer achieving EngTech in 2011 by virtue of Rank and Trade as I left the RAF. Then achieving IEng in 2014 with the IMechE and Fellow of the IMechE in 2017. What of it though kudos to me, but what Did JCB and now JLR get from me being registered?
    • A very detailed SWOT analysis of my competence as I went through the application process for IEng and Fellow
      • Not really applicable for my EngTech due to the Armed forces route

• Perhaps a little more thought in my decisions making process, because I've got a whole load of rules and codes to abide by that a non-registered engineer might not have heard of
      • More to lose too if I do something wrong and get struck off the register

• Report writing and reviewing skills that make day to day work easier and more efficient. The limited space on EngTech applications certainly helped develop my undergraduates' report writing skills as they completed a year in industry

• My mentoring skills have improved, which in turn helps other mentors and future mentors

• Access to vast amounts of research, journals, books, seminars and all other types of CPD though the IET library and numerous IET Networks

• A Trusted engineer who has been independently verified against an internationally recognised specification who has to maintain their knowledge and competence
      • This trust in a professional Engineer is what allowed me to take a huge risk leaving a growing business to join a company which, as I signed my contract, was not doing very well

• The ability for me as an Engineer or my employer to stand up in a court of law, should the worst happen, and say that they ensured the independently verified competence of the company's engineers through professional registration in the relevant category (ICTTech, EngTech, IEng or CEng)

Engineering as an industry spend huge amounts of money on training, but tying it all together in professional registration gives these separate items something to bond to like the matrix material in Carbon Fibre Re-enforced Composite providing the bond tying he threads of carbon together. The matrix doesn't provide much strength, but without it the fibres wouldn't have direction or control.

Good luck with you application Benson

Kind Regards

Simon
Children
No Data