This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Professional Development Advice

I would very much like some advice on my professional development,

I am a time served Electrician with 12 years experiance and have been promoted to contracts manager, I have been in my current role of contracts manager for 3 years now and have worked on a numer of large scale projects from industrial units to HV installations 

Due to the lack of university qualifications I would very much like to get my skills recongnised and registered,

I have been graded by the JIB as and Installation Electricain and Electrical Contracts Manager but my goal now is to register as MIET and I would have liked to progress to IEng

Is this a realistic grading without the university degree behind me? Can anyone advise another alternative?

I look forward to your reply

James
Parents
  • Hello James,

You should qualify for IEng, its a matter of compiling all your evidence based on your work experiences. You will be surprised just how many of the competencies you can easily meet being in the role you've been doing. I've got a degree myself but it isnt on the IET list so I've included all my work experience, additional reading I've needed to do to help me in the workplace etc.

As a contract manager I'm sure your leading teams, planing work, creating RAMS etc this all helps towards you professional recognition, even reading the IET magazine counts. Make sure you sort a CPD via the IET site.

Good luck
  • Hello James,

You should qualify for IEng, its a matter of compiling all your evidence based on your work experiences. You will be surprised just how many of the competencies you can easily meet being in the role you've been doing. I've got a degree myself but it isnt on the IET list so I've included all my work experience, additional reading I've needed to do to help me in the workplace etc.

As a contract manager I'm sure your leading teams, planing work, creating RAMS etc this all helps towards you professional recognition, even reading the IET magazine counts. Make sure you sort a CPD via the IET site.

Good luck
Children
No Data