This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

ARE CENG AND IENG EQUAL IN STATUS

Can we say that the CEng and IEng be considered equal titles in professional status or IEng is inferior than CEng.

As the Application Form for both CEng and IEng is same.
Parents
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Najeeb, Its my understanding that CEng academic requirement is additional approved learning on MEng level.

MEng is a one year programme above BEng(3 year programme).  It defers from MScEng - Master of Science in Engineering, this program requires 2 years and thesis or project.  In US some universities and institutes offer a one year programme of Master of Engineering.  

The important factor in USA is that degrees should be ABET accredited.  Similar to IET accredited degrees.

In USA Technologist has multiple meanings depends on certifying body.

In some cases ABET accredited BET degree is required.  In other cases its more of a technician qualification. There is no unified designation of Technologist.  Long time ego I proposed a term that is used in Russia, Engineer Technologist.  Not the same as Engineering Technologist. I seen diplomas with a degree of Magister ( Masters) and profession Engineer Technologist.

In USA the PE license will also require by 2020 additional learning beyond Bachelors degree 15 to 30 semester hours.

All other Chartered professionals are at Master degree level. Be it Medical Doctor or JD, etc etc.

So Professional Engineers say that its about time that Chartered Engineer or PE, PEng matched other professions academic level of Masters degree.

BEng is a 3 year degree .and MEng is one additional year so MEng is a 4 year degree.

What is different in USA is that PE's also have NSPE - National Society of Professional Engineers with chapters and societies in each state.

The NSPE is run by PE's it is political society that is working on promoting interests of PE's by the P.E's in all spheres, especially legislation and protection of PE's. The rest can be provided by non political IEEE.

This is whats missing today in UK, a body like that to work together with Engineering Council, Government and Employers, Universities but be independent of it.

www.nspe.org/.../what-national-society-professional-engineers-can-accomplish

www.nspe.org/.../issues-and-advocacy    

www.nspe.org/.../action-issues

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Najeeb, Its my understanding that CEng academic requirement is additional approved learning on MEng level.

MEng is a one year programme above BEng(3 year programme).  It defers from MScEng - Master of Science in Engineering, this program requires 2 years and thesis or project.  In US some universities and institutes offer a one year programme of Master of Engineering.  

The important factor in USA is that degrees should be ABET accredited.  Similar to IET accredited degrees.

In USA Technologist has multiple meanings depends on certifying body.

In some cases ABET accredited BET degree is required.  In other cases its more of a technician qualification. There is no unified designation of Technologist.  Long time ego I proposed a term that is used in Russia, Engineer Technologist.  Not the same as Engineering Technologist. I seen diplomas with a degree of Magister ( Masters) and profession Engineer Technologist.

In USA the PE license will also require by 2020 additional learning beyond Bachelors degree 15 to 30 semester hours.

All other Chartered professionals are at Master degree level. Be it Medical Doctor or JD, etc etc.

So Professional Engineers say that its about time that Chartered Engineer or PE, PEng matched other professions academic level of Masters degree.

BEng is a 3 year degree .and MEng is one additional year so MEng is a 4 year degree.

What is different in USA is that PE's also have NSPE - National Society of Professional Engineers with chapters and societies in each state.

The NSPE is run by PE's it is political society that is working on promoting interests of PE's by the P.E's in all spheres, especially legislation and protection of PE's. The rest can be provided by non political IEEE.

This is whats missing today in UK, a body like that to work together with Engineering Council, Government and Employers, Universities but be independent of it.

www.nspe.org/.../what-national-society-professional-engineers-can-accomplish

www.nspe.org/.../issues-and-advocacy    

www.nspe.org/.../action-issues

Children
No Data