This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

ARE CENG AND IENG EQUAL IN STATUS

Can we say that the CEng and IEng be considered equal titles in professional status or IEng is inferior than CEng.

As the Application Form for both CEng and IEng is same.
Parents
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Najeeb,  In many countries before 60's there were only 2 major designations Technicians and Engineers.  They came on different levels, such as Senior Engineer, Chef Engineer or apprentice Engineer, When I became Associate member of the Institution of Engineers and Technicians in 1984 we had TEng registration indeed. At the time there was an increasing recognition of the value and importance of the Technician Engineer. The Institution of Electrical Engineers and IMechE both set up some technician engineer institutions that had no Royal Charter but incorporated by guaranty, to enable them to be represented and to run their own affairs.But there was a confusion in the title of Technician Engineer or Engineering Technician. So discussions to find a more suitable title for Technician Engineer began around 1987. My Institute with other incorporated institutions merged to for IIE that was indeed in 2001 achieved Royal charter. But before that because they all had Incorporation under guaranty the Incorporated Engineer came out of it to replace the Technician Engineer.  

I think IIE missed an opportunity to make IEng in to Chartered Technical Engineer or Chartered Engineering Technologist  like at the time IEE had Chartered Electrical Engineers.

In Germany they have Staatlich geprüfter Techniker-  State-certified Technician also officially interpreted as State-Certified Engineer at level 6 - Bachelor in the German Qualifications Framework. They value their Technicians very High. The State-certified Technician would be an equivalent to IEng in UK or Chartered Engineering Technologist - CET -  in Australia.

Israel had interesting solution, they had Engineer and they had Technician then they also had a 2 year programme a higher qualification then technician,( today its a 3 year programme) they looked for a name, how to call people with this qualification.  They took the word Engineering ( Handasa in Hebrew) and they took the word Technician (in Hebrew Technai) and merged them.  What they got is Handasai -  if I translate to English sounding it would be Enginetian :-).

Today they have a register of Engineers and Architects separately and Enginetians , Technicians separately.

All protected titles by law.

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Najeeb,  In many countries before 60's there were only 2 major designations Technicians and Engineers.  They came on different levels, such as Senior Engineer, Chef Engineer or apprentice Engineer, When I became Associate member of the Institution of Engineers and Technicians in 1984 we had TEng registration indeed. At the time there was an increasing recognition of the value and importance of the Technician Engineer. The Institution of Electrical Engineers and IMechE both set up some technician engineer institutions that had no Royal Charter but incorporated by guaranty, to enable them to be represented and to run their own affairs.But there was a confusion in the title of Technician Engineer or Engineering Technician. So discussions to find a more suitable title for Technician Engineer began around 1987. My Institute with other incorporated institutions merged to for IIE that was indeed in 2001 achieved Royal charter. But before that because they all had Incorporation under guaranty the Incorporated Engineer came out of it to replace the Technician Engineer.  

I think IIE missed an opportunity to make IEng in to Chartered Technical Engineer or Chartered Engineering Technologist  like at the time IEE had Chartered Electrical Engineers.

In Germany they have Staatlich geprüfter Techniker-  State-certified Technician also officially interpreted as State-Certified Engineer at level 6 - Bachelor in the German Qualifications Framework. They value their Technicians very High. The State-certified Technician would be an equivalent to IEng in UK or Chartered Engineering Technologist - CET -  in Australia.

Israel had interesting solution, they had Engineer and they had Technician then they also had a 2 year programme a higher qualification then technician,( today its a 3 year programme) they looked for a name, how to call people with this qualification.  They took the word Engineering ( Handasa in Hebrew) and they took the word Technician (in Hebrew Technai) and merged them.  What they got is Handasai -  if I translate to English sounding it would be Enginetian :-).

Today they have a register of Engineers and Architects separately and Enginetians , Technicians separately.

All protected titles by law.

Children
No Data