This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

ARE CENG AND IENG EQUAL IN STATUS

Can we say that the CEng and IEng be considered equal titles in professional status or IEng is inferior than CEng.

As the Application Form for both CEng and IEng is same.
Parents
  • After reading all the replies, it seems that the discussion is being diverted from the subject Topic.  The comparison of UK Titles with other Contries Titles are not required here.  If we could restrict our discussion on the subject topic, then we can reach on a fruitful conclusion, i think.

Let me re-phrase my point of view regarding subject cited above.

In the light of the UK-SPEC Document,  there are two main routes towards registrations, one is Academic Route and other is Individual Route.  Both Routes demand relevant Competencies according to related Title.  For example, IEng has its own competencies and CEng has its own competencies.  Suppose, we consider the Acadmic Route for a while:  

The IEng is granted to either Bachelor of Engineering Degree holder or Bachelor of Technology Degree holder.  Because, internationally IEng is equivalent to the Title Engineering Technologist, therefore, according to UK-SPEC, both B.Eng and B.Tech Degree holders are entitled as Engineering Technologist.  This is the main conflict.  Can a B.Eng Degree holder be called an Engineering Technologist?

Likewise, The CEng is granted to either Master of Engineering Degree holder or Master of Technology Degree holder.  Because, internationally CEng is equivalent to the Title Professional Engineer, therefore, according to UK-SPEC, both Degree holders are entitled as Professional Engineer.  This is the main conflict.  Can a Master of Technology Degree holder be called a Professional Engineer?

In these circumstances, IEng having B.Eng Degree will fall under the Sydney Accord and CEng having M.Tech Degree will fall under Washington Accord.  isn't a confusion???  The EC-UK and IET-UK must look into it.

In my opinion, only B.Tech and M.Tech and D.Tech holders may be awarded IEng Title, whilst, only B.Eng and M.Eng and Phd Eng holders may be awarded CEng Title.  On the other hand, the status of both IEng and CEng should be equal but in their own fields.

If not agreed, then i suggest that Engineering Degree holders (B.Eng) may be awarded the title "IEng" and (M.Eng, MSc Eng and PhD Eng) may be "CEng", whilst, Technology Degree holders (B.Tech) may be awarded the title "ITech (Incorporated Technologist)" and (M.Tech, D.Tech or PhD Tech) may be "CTech (Chartered Technologist)".

And i am agreed that the IET UK is awarding the Membership Title "MIET" to both kind of degree holders i.e. Engineering Degree holders and Technology Degree Holders.

Specific reply on my above comments will be highly appreciated please.  Thank you.

• After reading all the replies, it seems that the discussion is being diverted from the subject Topic.  The comparison of UK Titles with other Contries Titles are not required here.  If we could restrict our discussion on the subject topic, then we can reach on a fruitful conclusion, i think.

Let me re-phrase my point of view regarding subject cited above.

In the light of the UK-SPEC Document,  there are two main routes towards registrations, one is Academic Route and other is Individual Route.  Both Routes demand relevant Competencies according to related Title.  For example, IEng has its own competencies and CEng has its own competencies.  Suppose, we consider the Acadmic Route for a while:  

The IEng is granted to either Bachelor of Engineering Degree holder or Bachelor of Technology Degree holder.  Because, internationally IEng is equivalent to the Title Engineering Technologist, therefore, according to UK-SPEC, both B.Eng and B.Tech Degree holders are entitled as Engineering Technologist.  This is the main conflict.  Can a B.Eng Degree holder be called an Engineering Technologist?

Likewise, The CEng is granted to either Master of Engineering Degree holder or Master of Technology Degree holder.  Because, internationally CEng is equivalent to the Title Professional Engineer, therefore, according to UK-SPEC, both Degree holders are entitled as Professional Engineer.  This is the main conflict.  Can a Master of Technology Degree holder be called a Professional Engineer?

In these circumstances, IEng having B.Eng Degree will fall under the Sydney Accord and CEng having M.Tech Degree will fall under Washington Accord.  isn't a confusion???  The EC-UK and IET-UK must look into it.

In my opinion, only B.Tech and M.Tech and D.Tech holders may be awarded IEng Title, whilst, only B.Eng and M.Eng and Phd Eng holders may be awarded CEng Title.  On the other hand, the status of both IEng and CEng should be equal but in their own fields.

If not agreed, then i suggest that Engineering Degree holders (B.Eng) may be awarded the title "IEng" and (M.Eng, MSc Eng and PhD Eng) may be "CEng", whilst, Technology Degree holders (B.Tech) may be awarded the title "ITech (Incorporated Technologist)" and (M.Tech, D.Tech or PhD Tech) may be "CTech (Chartered Technologist)".

And i am agreed that the IET UK is awarding the Membership Title "MIET" to both kind of degree holders i.e. Engineering Degree holders and Technology Degree Holders.

Specific reply on my above comments will be highly appreciated please.  Thank you.

Children
No Data