This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

What one piece of advice do you wish you had known at the start of your career?

Reposted from IET Professional Development

I'm currently working on a blog around starting out in careers in engineering - it got me thinking about the lessons learned from others (perhaps because I spend a lot of my time working with our volunteer mentors).

What one piece of advice do you wish you had known at the start of your career that you know now?

Or, if you're starting out in your career right now, what is the one thing you want to learn more about (and hopefully have planned as part of your CPD)?

Please share your experiences or advice below:

Kathryn Bain, IPD and Mentoring Service Manager, The Institution of Engineering & Technology, (IET Staff)

Parents
  • I started my engineering career early in the 70s when I was 22 years old. I progressed through various stages and around the age of 40 I had a senior managerial role. At the age of 46  I decided to do an MBA in order to enhance my management skills. I wish somebody could advise me when I was at my 30s to do that MBA.

​An MBA is a good top up of engineering qualifications and almost in all cases help engineers either to progress at higher ranks as well as to  change career in other areas. Mathematical thinking and management skills can lead to very successful career at all levels.

Savvas
  • I started my engineering career early in the 70s when I was 22 years old. I progressed through various stages and around the age of 40 I had a senior managerial role. At the age of 46  I decided to do an MBA in order to enhance my management skills. I wish somebody could advise me when I was at my 30s to do that MBA.

​An MBA is a good top up of engineering qualifications and almost in all cases help engineers either to progress at higher ranks as well as to  change career in other areas. Mathematical thinking and management skills can lead to very successful career at all levels.

Savvas
Children
No Data