This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

What one piece of advice do you wish you had known at the start of your career?

Reposted from IET Professional Development

I'm currently working on a blog around starting out in careers in engineering - it got me thinking about the lessons learned from others (perhaps because I spend a lot of my time working with our volunteer mentors).

What one piece of advice do you wish you had known at the start of your career that you know now?

Or, if you're starting out in your career right now, what is the one thing you want to learn more about (and hopefully have planned as part of your CPD)?

Please share your experiences or advice below:

Kathryn Bain, IPD and Mentoring Service Manager, The Institution of Engineering & Technology, (IET Staff)

Parents
  • When I was studying for my first degree a lot of us used to sit around and discuss ideas relating to 'hi-fi' and audio engineering. At the time I suspect we all thought that these were just ideas and 'what did we know?', we were 'just' students anyway. I do remember my (mechanical) engineer father making comments about the young being innovative and having freedom of action, but then he was a parent and who listens to them?

After graduating and getting a job in non-audio engineering I realised that my father was right. My soul and potential patent rights had been 'sold' to an international company in exchange for a salary and the ideas that we had dismissed as students became mainstream in the coming decades. Not only that, the engineers that I worked with were, with few exceptions, competent but not much more, or at any rate kept their genius hidden, (sale of souls?).

I wish I had had the confidence to believe in myself at a young age. I suspect that for many of us that comes, if we are lucky, from the chance of being born to the 'right' parent or working with a good mentor. (Many 'self-made people' are the children of business owners). By the time we learn to be self-confident we are often tied in by other commitments.

If only I was young again! The virtually free cost of developing ideas in software versus protyping with expensive hardware, seemingly infinite data sources on-line, lots of people willing to help for free, Ebay etc. etc. The costs of failing for the young are now minimal. Go for it! Even if you fail I bet the 'corporates' will pay more for your 'soul' than if you didn't try.

My advice then is 'believe in youself'.
  • When I was studying for my first degree a lot of us used to sit around and discuss ideas relating to 'hi-fi' and audio engineering. At the time I suspect we all thought that these were just ideas and 'what did we know?', we were 'just' students anyway. I do remember my (mechanical) engineer father making comments about the young being innovative and having freedom of action, but then he was a parent and who listens to them?

After graduating and getting a job in non-audio engineering I realised that my father was right. My soul and potential patent rights had been 'sold' to an international company in exchange for a salary and the ideas that we had dismissed as students became mainstream in the coming decades. Not only that, the engineers that I worked with were, with few exceptions, competent but not much more, or at any rate kept their genius hidden, (sale of souls?).

I wish I had had the confidence to believe in myself at a young age. I suspect that for many of us that comes, if we are lucky, from the chance of being born to the 'right' parent or working with a good mentor. (Many 'self-made people' are the children of business owners). By the time we learn to be self-confident we are often tied in by other commitments.

If only I was young again! The virtually free cost of developing ideas in software versus protyping with expensive hardware, seemingly infinite data sources on-line, lots of people willing to help for free, Ebay etc. etc. The costs of failing for the young are now minimal. Go for it! Even if you fail I bet the 'corporates' will pay more for your 'soul' than if you didn't try.

My advice then is 'believe in youself'.
Children
No Data