This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

What one piece of advice do you wish you had known at the start of your career?

Reposted from IET Professional Development

I'm currently working on a blog around starting out in careers in engineering - it got me thinking about the lessons learned from others (perhaps because I spend a lot of my time working with our volunteer mentors).

What one piece of advice do you wish you had known at the start of your career that you know now?

Or, if you're starting out in your career right now, what is the one thing you want to learn more about (and hopefully have planned as part of your CPD)?

Please share your experiences or advice below:

Kathryn Bain, IPD and Mentoring Service Manager, The Institution of Engineering & Technology, (IET Staff)

Parents
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    The advice provided here is well founded. Some fledgling engineers will not have yet developed the necessary drive, determination or courage to achieve CEng status.  If I remember correctly ,at 16 years of age the route to CEng looked almost an impossible task. So start with a funded apprenticeship which has the ability to allow you to obtain qualifications or at least pay enough to fund them yourself.  An apprenticeship will develop the necessary skills and techniques that will help you gain confidence and understanding. The work is varied and sometimes dull, but this is the test to see how you cope with a variety of work situations. Through this approach, you will gain confidence, knowledge and experience which is unparalled. Even if you decide that engineering is not for you, you will have learned some life skills that will bring about positive changes in your life and will be applicable to all workplaces.  Always set yourself a long term goal and continue to aim for it, do not listen to people who tell you that you cannot achieve what you want. Be relentless.

I hope that helps

Gareth Wood P.Eng CEng 

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    The advice provided here is well founded. Some fledgling engineers will not have yet developed the necessary drive, determination or courage to achieve CEng status.  If I remember correctly ,at 16 years of age the route to CEng looked almost an impossible task. So start with a funded apprenticeship which has the ability to allow you to obtain qualifications or at least pay enough to fund them yourself.  An apprenticeship will develop the necessary skills and techniques that will help you gain confidence and understanding. The work is varied and sometimes dull, but this is the test to see how you cope with a variety of work situations. Through this approach, you will gain confidence, knowledge and experience which is unparalled. Even if you decide that engineering is not for you, you will have learned some life skills that will bring about positive changes in your life and will be applicable to all workplaces.  Always set yourself a long term goal and continue to aim for it, do not listen to people who tell you that you cannot achieve what you want. Be relentless.

I hope that helps

Gareth Wood P.Eng CEng 

Children
No Data