This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

What one piece of advice do you wish you had known at the start of your career?

Reposted from IET Professional Development

I'm currently working on a blog around starting out in careers in engineering - it got me thinking about the lessons learned from others (perhaps because I spend a lot of my time working with our volunteer mentors).

What one piece of advice do you wish you had known at the start of your career that you know now?

Or, if you're starting out in your career right now, what is the one thing you want to learn more about (and hopefully have planned as part of your CPD)?

Please share your experiences or advice below:

Kathryn Bain, IPD and Mentoring Service Manager, The Institution of Engineering & Technology, (IET Staff)

Parents
  • Hi James,

I couldn't agree more, I think it it's to do with "fear of failure": if the expectation is that success is a steady job, house, car, pension etc then you're unlikely to become an entrepreneur - you have to be prepared to lose it all one day and then win it back again. And based on cases I've seen that very much comes from family background. I often feel that there is a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation here in the engineering field, it's seen as a "steady" industry and so attracts people who like that sort of reliability, and so the cycle continues. The James Dyson's tend to loudly proclaim themselves as outsiders - which I think is a shame for multiple reasons.

Many years ago I fancied starting up a business, but when I realised it would involve mortgaging our house to the point where we would lose it if I failed I pulled out (same story with a possible management buy-out I was on the fringes of once). If you look at serial entrepreneurs they would have done this without a qualm. The various tie-in books to "Dragon's Den" are very interesting when you look at successful entrepreneur's backgrounds.

So back to the thread, I wish I'd known more about the psychology of personal motivations - I think I'd have been quite interested if that had been in my degree course.

To take this in a slightly different direction - this bother's me about this government's excitement about the "gig economy". My experience is that many (most?) engineers really don't want to be talking their way into a new job each week - although a few (with different backgrounds) love it, they're already the self employed consultants with flash cars we're all envious of!

Cheers, Andy
  • Hi James,

I couldn't agree more, I think it it's to do with "fear of failure": if the expectation is that success is a steady job, house, car, pension etc then you're unlikely to become an entrepreneur - you have to be prepared to lose it all one day and then win it back again. And based on cases I've seen that very much comes from family background. I often feel that there is a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation here in the engineering field, it's seen as a "steady" industry and so attracts people who like that sort of reliability, and so the cycle continues. The James Dyson's tend to loudly proclaim themselves as outsiders - which I think is a shame for multiple reasons.

Many years ago I fancied starting up a business, but when I realised it would involve mortgaging our house to the point where we would lose it if I failed I pulled out (same story with a possible management buy-out I was on the fringes of once). If you look at serial entrepreneurs they would have done this without a qualm. The various tie-in books to "Dragon's Den" are very interesting when you look at successful entrepreneur's backgrounds.

So back to the thread, I wish I'd known more about the psychology of personal motivations - I think I'd have been quite interested if that had been in my degree course.

To take this in a slightly different direction - this bother's me about this government's excitement about the "gig economy". My experience is that many (most?) engineers really don't want to be talking their way into a new job each week - although a few (with different backgrounds) love it, they're already the self employed consultants with flash cars we're all envious of!

Cheers, Andy
Children
No Data