This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

What one piece of advice do you wish you had known at the start of your career?

Reposted from IET Professional Development

I'm currently working on a blog around starting out in careers in engineering - it got me thinking about the lessons learned from others (perhaps because I spend a lot of my time working with our volunteer mentors).

What one piece of advice do you wish you had known at the start of your career that you know now?

Or, if you're starting out in your career right now, what is the one thing you want to learn more about (and hopefully have planned as part of your CPD)?

Please share your experiences or advice below:

Kathryn Bain, IPD and Mentoring Service Manager, The Institution of Engineering & Technology, (IET Staff)

Parents
  • Just a quick reply for the "young generation" (that makes me feel ancient...). We talk about future-proofing, and this term applies to your career. Get as many academic qualifications under your belt as you possibly can while you're still in "college mode". You never know what's in store for you in the foreseeable future. I had to take an additional qualification two decades into my career, and while it was very enjoyable and I got good grades, one of the hardest parts of the whole process was getting back into studying mode after twenty plus years, whilst holding down a demanding full time job, carrying on with several voluntary roles in the community and raising a family.
  • Just a quick reply for the "young generation" (that makes me feel ancient...). We talk about future-proofing, and this term applies to your career. Get as many academic qualifications under your belt as you possibly can while you're still in "college mode". You never know what's in store for you in the foreseeable future. I had to take an additional qualification two decades into my career, and while it was very enjoyable and I got good grades, one of the hardest parts of the whole process was getting back into studying mode after twenty plus years, whilst holding down a demanding full time job, carrying on with several voluntary roles in the community and raising a family.
Children
No Data