This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Shortage of broadcast engineers?

At IBC this year MMC Committee members spoke to many exhibitors with the aim of understanding what the next big technology would be. But the biggest concern we encourntered was "where are the next generation of engineers going to come from?" Many companies are already reportdly struggling to recruit employees with the right skills. 

What do you think the answer will be?
Parents
  • Hi Sinead, I've worked in the broadcasting technology industry since the late 1980s and I can confirm that it's a great place to work as an engineer.  Currently I'm Chairman of the IET's Multimedia Communications TPN, and as you saw from Phoebe's post it was when we were were at IBC this year that the shortage of engineers entering the broadcasting industry was highlighted as a real issue.

There are a number of professional organisations aligned with different aspects of television and broadcasting, including of course the RTS as Barry mentioned although their remit puts a lot of emphasis on content production whereas the IET definitely majors on the technology.  I have worked with a large number of broadcasters, cable companies, technology providers and studios over my time in the industry and I would be very happy to discuss what contacts I may be able to provide or to give any advice over aspects of the industry if that would be helpful.  Let me know, through the IET, but also by sending me a request to connect on LinkedIn (I assume you are probably already a member), where you'll be able to find me as Graham Turner at uk.linkedin.com/.../grahamturner

Best regards,

Graham
  • Hi Sinead, I've worked in the broadcasting technology industry since the late 1980s and I can confirm that it's a great place to work as an engineer.  Currently I'm Chairman of the IET's Multimedia Communications TPN, and as you saw from Phoebe's post it was when we were were at IBC this year that the shortage of engineers entering the broadcasting industry was highlighted as a real issue.

There are a number of professional organisations aligned with different aspects of television and broadcasting, including of course the RTS as Barry mentioned although their remit puts a lot of emphasis on content production whereas the IET definitely majors on the technology.  I have worked with a large number of broadcasters, cable companies, technology providers and studios over my time in the industry and I would be very happy to discuss what contacts I may be able to provide or to give any advice over aspects of the industry if that would be helpful.  Let me know, through the IET, but also by sending me a request to connect on LinkedIn (I assume you are probably already a member), where you'll be able to find me as Graham Turner at uk.linkedin.com/.../grahamturner

Best regards,

Graham
Children
No Data