This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Shortage of broadcast engineers?

At IBC this year MMC Committee members spoke to many exhibitors with the aim of understanding what the next big technology would be. But the biggest concern we encourntered was "where are the next generation of engineers going to come from?" Many companies are already reportdly struggling to recruit employees with the right skills. 

What do you think the answer will be?
Parents
  • Hi Cameron, there are a variety of possible visits that could help him to understand the options and places where he might work.  Partly the choices are dictated by whether he is primarily interested in using the technology to deliver programming or whether it is the technology itself that is likely to be his primary interest.  There are some colleges, such as Ravensbourne in London, which offer courses including degrees covering aspects of both, otherwise the BBC I think has links with Salford University and there are (I believe) also BBC accredited courses at Birmingham University.  It would be good if he could get on visits to a local television broadcaster (BBC, ITV, C4 for terrestrial or Sky for satellite) or to a cable company (Virgin Media in this country).  There are also exhibitions which could help to give him some insight, although some of them do their best to dissuade attendees at an earlier stage than being undergraduates or apprentices.  In London there is TV Connect in the spring, and the largest European TV technology conference and exhibition is in Amsterdam, the International Broadcasting Convention, held in September of each year.  There are also a variety of local IET events that will cover aspects of broadcasting technology from time to time and from location to location, as well of course as some content and comment being visible here on the MMC pages.  I hope this may be some help, but please get in touch with me directly if there could be something you'd like to discuss in more detail or where I may be able to make a contact or help in some other way.  It is really good to see people like your son wanting to enter our industry.
  • Hi Cameron, there are a variety of possible visits that could help him to understand the options and places where he might work.  Partly the choices are dictated by whether he is primarily interested in using the technology to deliver programming or whether it is the technology itself that is likely to be his primary interest.  There are some colleges, such as Ravensbourne in London, which offer courses including degrees covering aspects of both, otherwise the BBC I think has links with Salford University and there are (I believe) also BBC accredited courses at Birmingham University.  It would be good if he could get on visits to a local television broadcaster (BBC, ITV, C4 for terrestrial or Sky for satellite) or to a cable company (Virgin Media in this country).  There are also exhibitions which could help to give him some insight, although some of them do their best to dissuade attendees at an earlier stage than being undergraduates or apprentices.  In London there is TV Connect in the spring, and the largest European TV technology conference and exhibition is in Amsterdam, the International Broadcasting Convention, held in September of each year.  There are also a variety of local IET events that will cover aspects of broadcasting technology from time to time and from location to location, as well of course as some content and comment being visible here on the MMC pages.  I hope this may be some help, but please get in touch with me directly if there could be something you'd like to discuss in more detail or where I may be able to make a contact or help in some other way.  It is really good to see people like your son wanting to enter our industry.
Children
No Data