This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Welcome and Introduce Yourself

Welcome to the Aerospace discussion page on Engineering Communities!

This is a thread to introduce yourself to your fellow network members. We’d love to hear more about you so here are a few questions to start you off:

Name:
Brief career history:
What interests you about Aerospace
Other interests:

Parents
  • Hi

My name is David Lacey.  I am London-born but have lived near Glasgow for the last 36 years.  To trade I was an engineer in NATS.  Joining in 1977, my initial training was at Bletchley Park, followed by 3 years working on avionics systems at the Civil Aviation Authority Flying Unit at Stansted Airport - nothing like the busy airport that it has become in more recent years!  In 1982 I moved to Scotland and worked for 5 years in field service of aeronautical navigational-aids.  I subsequently moved to the Scottish and Oceanic Area Control Centre at Prestwick and remained there until I left NATS in 2009, by which time I had NATS Design Authority accountability for Oceanic and Datalink systems.  I have been associated with the IEE/IET since 1987, although I have never been an active member.  I am interested in all aspects of aerospace.  I am a PPL with over 800 hours and have my own Piper Super Cub.  I joined 2175 (Rolls-Royce) Squadron of the Air Training Corps in 2009 as a Civilian Instructor and continue in this role.

Now a confession - whilst I have not been particularly active with the IET, I have been very active in the Prestwick Branch of the Royal Aeronautical Society.  I have been a committee member for more than 16 years, and have served as Treasurer, Secretary and Chairman. I am currently a member of the Royal Aeronautical Society HQ's Branches Committee.  The Prestwick Branch is quite active in the West of Scotland, hosting many events and activities.  The Branch has a loose affiliation with the South-West Scotland Area Committee of the IMechE, but we have never sought a similar relationship with the IET.  As a member of both organisations I find this a little sad.

I wonder if it would be possible to use this network to get something moving along these lines in the West of Scotland?  Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

David Lacey BEng CEng MIET MRAeS
  • Hi

My name is David Lacey.  I am London-born but have lived near Glasgow for the last 36 years.  To trade I was an engineer in NATS.  Joining in 1977, my initial training was at Bletchley Park, followed by 3 years working on avionics systems at the Civil Aviation Authority Flying Unit at Stansted Airport - nothing like the busy airport that it has become in more recent years!  In 1982 I moved to Scotland and worked for 5 years in field service of aeronautical navigational-aids.  I subsequently moved to the Scottish and Oceanic Area Control Centre at Prestwick and remained there until I left NATS in 2009, by which time I had NATS Design Authority accountability for Oceanic and Datalink systems.  I have been associated with the IEE/IET since 1987, although I have never been an active member.  I am interested in all aspects of aerospace.  I am a PPL with over 800 hours and have my own Piper Super Cub.  I joined 2175 (Rolls-Royce) Squadron of the Air Training Corps in 2009 as a Civilian Instructor and continue in this role.

Now a confession - whilst I have not been particularly active with the IET, I have been very active in the Prestwick Branch of the Royal Aeronautical Society.  I have been a committee member for more than 16 years, and have served as Treasurer, Secretary and Chairman. I am currently a member of the Royal Aeronautical Society HQ's Branches Committee.  The Prestwick Branch is quite active in the West of Scotland, hosting many events and activities.  The Branch has a loose affiliation with the South-West Scotland Area Committee of the IMechE, but we have never sought a similar relationship with the IET.  As a member of both organisations I find this a little sad.

I wonder if it would be possible to use this network to get something moving along these lines in the West of Scotland?  Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

David Lacey BEng CEng MIET MRAeS
Children
No Data