This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Welcome and Introduce Yourself

Welcome to the Aerospace discussion page on Engineering Communities!

This is a thread to introduce yourself to your fellow network members. We’d love to hear more about you so here are a few questions to start you off:

Name:
Brief career history:
What interests you about Aerospace
Other interests:

Parents
  • Hello,

I'm Ray Smith and I enjoyed a career spanning 32 years in the Royal Air Force. In that time I managed teams of up to 200+, supporting fast-jet, large ISTAR and heritage aircraft.   I served in Germany and the United States and led engineering detachments to Europe, North and South America and to Saudi Arabia in the late 1990s. 

With the MoD Procurement Executive, Defence Logistics Organisation and Defence Equipment & Support organisations, I managed acquisition projects worth up to £300M and running cost budgets of up to £60M per year.  Over 20 years, in various MoD jobs, I gained experience in change, risk and safety management as well as holding senior engineering posts.  I am a Graduate of the Joint Service Defence College, Greenwich.  A Chartered Engineer and a Fellow of the IET and the RAeS, I have held both UK and US Private Pilot's Licences.

After retiring from the RAF, I spent 6 years as an aviation safety and logistic support consultant with MoD aircraft project teams, rising to the position of Operations Director in a small consulting company.  For the last 8 years. I have been  volunteering for the IET as a Professional Registration Adviser, Professional Review Interviewer and Fellow Assessor and I am currently Deputy Chairman of the Aerospace Technical and Professional Network. 

My interests include military history and modelling and I am passionate about raising the profile of the IET as an institution that represents the interests of professional aerospace engineers.
  • Hello,

I'm Ray Smith and I enjoyed a career spanning 32 years in the Royal Air Force. In that time I managed teams of up to 200+, supporting fast-jet, large ISTAR and heritage aircraft.   I served in Germany and the United States and led engineering detachments to Europe, North and South America and to Saudi Arabia in the late 1990s. 

With the MoD Procurement Executive, Defence Logistics Organisation and Defence Equipment & Support organisations, I managed acquisition projects worth up to £300M and running cost budgets of up to £60M per year.  Over 20 years, in various MoD jobs, I gained experience in change, risk and safety management as well as holding senior engineering posts.  I am a Graduate of the Joint Service Defence College, Greenwich.  A Chartered Engineer and a Fellow of the IET and the RAeS, I have held both UK and US Private Pilot's Licences.

After retiring from the RAF, I spent 6 years as an aviation safety and logistic support consultant with MoD aircraft project teams, rising to the position of Operations Director in a small consulting company.  For the last 8 years. I have been  volunteering for the IET as a Professional Registration Adviser, Professional Review Interviewer and Fellow Assessor and I am currently Deputy Chairman of the Aerospace Technical and Professional Network. 

My interests include military history and modelling and I am passionate about raising the profile of the IET as an institution that represents the interests of professional aerospace engineers.
Children
No Data