This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Best route into a hands-on roles involving control & automation?

Hi

I would greatly appreciate some advice/recommendations to help make a change of career direction to a hands-on role in control & automation away from being a marine engineer currently desk based managing new-build ship construction. 

I have recently made some job applications to roles which involve programming PLCs, SCADA, setting up inverter drives etc.. but to no avail. Fair enough, since I would not hit the ground running. Some roles also require electrical qualifications which I do not have (My seagoing qualitifactions do not qualify me for land based work) so I have looked at doing C&G2365 levels 2 &3 including 17th edition as a way into working with industrial automation and controls, perhaps by working as a multi-skilled maintenance engineer within a factory? 

My background is that I have worked at sea as an engineer officer in the Merchant Navy, gained a masters degree in marine engineering, and have worked for a diesel engine manufacturer for many years.

Will contact this colleage tomorrow to ask their advice too, as their courses look promising: www.technicaltrainingsolutions.co.uk/index.html

cheers

Tim
Parents
  • Hi Tim

​I would not give up, there are companies out there that are looking for the right person, even though you may not have all the skills to hit the ground running.  Our comapny works within the logistics sector implementing automation systems.  You will surprised how much of the the day to day items you purchase are handled by automation.  There is currently a hugh growth in ecommerce and we are expanding such that we will see our Controls Department double in size to over a hundered people.

​Getting good Controls Engineers with the relevant experience is becoming a real challenge and not just in our industry sector.  To that end we have looked at other ways to bring in good engineers who can be trained in the required skills. We have ex-forces, maintenance engineers, graduates and apprentices, who are all on a development program that could see them start as Commissioning Engineers (compiling PLC code, emulating using 3d modelling and onsite commissioning) then progress to technical leads or development roles.

​The downside with a change in career direction usually means taking a step backwards in your current level of achievment, but if you go in with the mindset that you are coming in at a lower level of expertise to that you had gained in your current field with the passion to succeed then that goes a long way in potential employers eyes, like I said getting the right 'person' is so important as the technical skills can be taught.

If it is something you want to find out more about PM me and I can send you details of our company.

Regards

Paul.

• Hi Tim

​I would not give up, there are companies out there that are looking for the right person, even though you may not have all the skills to hit the ground running.  Our comapny works within the logistics sector implementing automation systems.  You will surprised how much of the the day to day items you purchase are handled by automation.  There is currently a hugh growth in ecommerce and we are expanding such that we will see our Controls Department double in size to over a hundered people.

​Getting good Controls Engineers with the relevant experience is becoming a real challenge and not just in our industry sector.  To that end we have looked at other ways to bring in good engineers who can be trained in the required skills. We have ex-forces, maintenance engineers, graduates and apprentices, who are all on a development program that could see them start as Commissioning Engineers (compiling PLC code, emulating using 3d modelling and onsite commissioning) then progress to technical leads or development roles.

​The downside with a change in career direction usually means taking a step backwards in your current level of achievment, but if you go in with the mindset that you are coming in at a lower level of expertise to that you had gained in your current field with the passion to succeed then that goes a long way in potential employers eyes, like I said getting the right 'person' is so important as the technical skills can be taught.

If it is something you want to find out more about PM me and I can send you details of our company.

Regards

Paul.

Children
No Data