This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Best route into a hands-on roles involving control & automation?

Hi

I would greatly appreciate some advice/recommendations to help make a change of career direction to a hands-on role in control & automation away from being a marine engineer currently desk based managing new-build ship construction. 

I have recently made some job applications to roles which involve programming PLCs, SCADA, setting up inverter drives etc.. but to no avail. Fair enough, since I would not hit the ground running. Some roles also require electrical qualifications which I do not have (My seagoing qualitifactions do not qualify me for land based work) so I have looked at doing C&G2365 levels 2 &3 including 17th edition as a way into working with industrial automation and controls, perhaps by working as a multi-skilled maintenance engineer within a factory? 

My background is that I have worked at sea as an engineer officer in the Merchant Navy, gained a masters degree in marine engineering, and have worked for a diesel engine manufacturer for many years.

Will contact this colleage tomorrow to ask their advice too, as their courses look promising: www.technicaltrainingsolutions.co.uk/index.html

cheers

Tim
Parents
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member

Hi Tim,

I would recommend emphasising the transferrable skills you posses which can then be aligned to the industry you’re looking to enter. Your marine engineering background I guess would include exposure to system’s engineering, requirements analysis, specification writing, IT & networking, system testing, and software development possibly?

Although these may not be directly relevant in terms of application area they nevertheless can be ported to the control and automation industry?

Also, have you considered undertaking some practical training in relevant areas i.e. PLC/DCS/SCADA coding, industrial networking i.e. Profibus/PROFinet which again would bolster your appeal to a prospective employer?

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member

Hi Tim,

I would recommend emphasising the transferrable skills you posses which can then be aligned to the industry you’re looking to enter. Your marine engineering background I guess would include exposure to system’s engineering, requirements analysis, specification writing, IT & networking, system testing, and software development possibly?

Although these may not be directly relevant in terms of application area they nevertheless can be ported to the control and automation industry?

Also, have you considered undertaking some practical training in relevant areas i.e. PLC/DCS/SCADA coding, industrial networking i.e. Profibus/PROFinet which again would bolster your appeal to a prospective employer?

Children
No Data