This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

More grid flexibility urgently required

966255bba3691f957d9b628e305381a7-huge-electric-electricity-power-powerline-energy-1162913-667x500.jpg'Renewables have many benefits, but their intermittency does indeed carry a cost.' 

I saw that the UK Energy Research Centre (UKERC) have published a new report this week which looks at where those costs are and how they can be minimised.

This article from The Engineer highlights how the National Grid's plan to adapt their storage systems must also work in combination with demand side response, more flexible generation and interconnection.

What impact do you think renewables will have on the grid?
Parents
  • Bob

I was on the Grid Code Review Panel for over ten years so perhaps I can comment with some  understanding. 

I think the Grid Code is not clear on this point, but I feel sure that National Grid's initial view would be "no you cannot". But I think it might be arguable. If you have a specific example then one way forward would be to submit a paper to the Grid Code Review Panel to argue your case. 

One historic example. Back at the beginning NG argued quite  strongly that sychonous generating units must be able to meet their reactive power obligations by themselves and it is not acceptable to have a generator with limited reactive capability plus  some static compensation to meet the requirements. But it seems that large wind farms can use some reactive compensation within the wind farm to help them meet  their reactive capability requirements at the Grid interface. So there might be some opportunity to change things. 

Regards

Dave Ward (F)
  • Bob

I was on the Grid Code Review Panel for over ten years so perhaps I can comment with some  understanding. 

I think the Grid Code is not clear on this point, but I feel sure that National Grid's initial view would be "no you cannot". But I think it might be arguable. If you have a specific example then one way forward would be to submit a paper to the Grid Code Review Panel to argue your case. 

One historic example. Back at the beginning NG argued quite  strongly that sychonous generating units must be able to meet their reactive power obligations by themselves and it is not acceptable to have a generator with limited reactive capability plus  some static compensation to meet the requirements. But it seems that large wind farms can use some reactive compensation within the wind farm to help them meet  their reactive capability requirements at the Grid interface. So there might be some opportunity to change things. 

Regards

Dave Ward (F)
Children
No Data