This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

City and Guilds MCGI

Former Community Member
Former Community Member

Parents
  • I got my LCGI (Via portfolio direct submission to C&G London – old scheme) in 2011 and GCGI in 2012 (Via IEng - old scheme). I think I consider lucky getting these 2 titles before C&G discontinue or revise in 2013.

Interestingly my LCGI award is in Electrical Engineering and GCGI is in Engineering. I did write to C&G that time how they determine the major especially in GCGI but their reply was very poor without any answer as experience by most of our member here. Apparently I had checked with few GCGI holder and all are GCGI in Engineering.

Getting these 2 titles at first was a joyful moment for me because C&G did invite me to their graduation ceremony in London where you got to wear formal dress of gown, hood and mortar board. During that time I didn’t went for it as the cost from Malaysia to UK is really expensive.

Now, to put these 2 titles in you CV especially in Malaysia do draw a lot of confusion for employer here. In Malaysia City and Guilds are very recognise because most C&G centre here in Malaysia offer up to Diploma level or level 3. So in their mind they already map C&G cert as diploma level. So when they saw my LCGI which I did bracket and said it is NQV Level 4 and same goes to GCGI Level 6, they feel confuse and ask a lot of question, like where you study and how long your study, is really hard for me to explain. In fact there are no study for these 2 titles, LCGI via workbased portfolio submission and GCGI via IEng qualification.

Technically LCGI, GCGI, MCGI and FCGI are academic qualification if based on UK NQF, but their nature of equivalent to Diploma, Degree, Master, Dr, is in very confusion state. That’s why I think why C&G make a stop to the old scheme in 2013.

If to gain LCGI, GCGI, MCGI and FCGI through new scheme where you need to study might as well you go for normal academic route like getting a degree or master.

I have a BEng(Hons) and GCGI, do I consider to have double degree? Some of the employer asks me.

So is very confusing. But of course I got no regret getting these 2 titles for my collection.

Just my life experience sharing!

Regards,
  • I got my LCGI (Via portfolio direct submission to C&G London – old scheme) in 2011 and GCGI in 2012 (Via IEng - old scheme). I think I consider lucky getting these 2 titles before C&G discontinue or revise in 2013.

Interestingly my LCGI award is in Electrical Engineering and GCGI is in Engineering. I did write to C&G that time how they determine the major especially in GCGI but their reply was very poor without any answer as experience by most of our member here. Apparently I had checked with few GCGI holder and all are GCGI in Engineering.

Getting these 2 titles at first was a joyful moment for me because C&G did invite me to their graduation ceremony in London where you got to wear formal dress of gown, hood and mortar board. During that time I didn’t went for it as the cost from Malaysia to UK is really expensive.

Now, to put these 2 titles in you CV especially in Malaysia do draw a lot of confusion for employer here. In Malaysia City and Guilds are very recognise because most C&G centre here in Malaysia offer up to Diploma level or level 3. So in their mind they already map C&G cert as diploma level. So when they saw my LCGI which I did bracket and said it is NQV Level 4 and same goes to GCGI Level 6, they feel confuse and ask a lot of question, like where you study and how long your study, is really hard for me to explain. In fact there are no study for these 2 titles, LCGI via workbased portfolio submission and GCGI via IEng qualification.

Technically LCGI, GCGI, MCGI and FCGI are academic qualification if based on UK NQF, but their nature of equivalent to Diploma, Degree, Master, Dr, is in very confusion state. That’s why I think why C&G make a stop to the old scheme in 2013.

If to gain LCGI, GCGI, MCGI and FCGI through new scheme where you need to study might as well you go for normal academic route like getting a degree or master.

I have a BEng(Hons) and GCGI, do I consider to have double degree? Some of the employer asks me.

So is very confusing. But of course I got no regret getting these 2 titles for my collection.

Just my life experience sharing!

Regards,
Children
No Data