This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Driverless Trains

The March 2017 Issue of E&T carries several articles about driverless cars but why haven't we got driverless mainline trains?

The technical 'problem' should be far simpler to solve than for a road vehicle. The position on the 'road' can be predicted and determined easily with precision. There is essentially no collision problem to solve, that has been done with the existing signalling system.

There is no need for communication with the train, no need for additional infrastructure. All that is needed is to observe and act on the existing fixed signals.

Of course such a basic system can be improved upon to produce a 'super driver' capable of reacting to unplanned obstructions, greasy rails etc.

The human driver is perhaps the last link to be made 'fail-safe' in the railway safety regime. Our efforts to 'improve' the driver-train interface have probably added new problems. Regular signal spacings, standard aspects and driver alerts must surely increase the boredom and inattention factor. An example of this was the Shap Roll-back in August 2010 where a driver correctly observed adverse signals, came to a stop, then allowed the train to roll-back, acknowledging the retreating adverse signals on the way, until the train exceeded 50 mph. Presumably he was half asleep?

I suspect the real 'problem' is a social one, it will be a tragedy if we can't solve that one.

Parents
  • David,

I think the main objections to driverless trains would come from the unions, the passengers aren't aware of the driver at all. I doubt if even little boys walk up to the head of the platform to see the engine and hopefully get to speak to the driver anymore. (A few months ago I was waiting in a delayed Paddington-bound express, a bit annoyed with myself that I had chosen it rather than the stopping train that should have followed it. Eventually we were told that they were waiting on a member of the train crew. Possibly the 'sandwich seller'? After a short pause we were given the additional bit of information that he was, err, the driver!).

I mostly enjoy driving my car but not in stop-go traffic and not on motorways, which are boring and scary when free-running 70 mph traffic abruptly changes to stop-go but how many drivers noticed? I would love to lock my car to the wire then.

The human perception of risk will also be a factor, we are a lot happier usually when we think we have control than when we give that control to others. Familiarity helps too. When the railways started some people didn't feel it would be safe to go faster than a horse and now 100 mph plus is commonplace. When one considers that the trains stay on the rails not by some sophisticated steering system but by the self-stabilising action of a pair of cones.. well I'd rather not consider it! (There is a subject for a "Why Engineer?" school talk here, all those little things that we rely on without a thought, the bolt that doesn't break, the screw that holds - built on centuries of knowledge and attention to detail).
  • David,

I think the main objections to driverless trains would come from the unions, the passengers aren't aware of the driver at all. I doubt if even little boys walk up to the head of the platform to see the engine and hopefully get to speak to the driver anymore. (A few months ago I was waiting in a delayed Paddington-bound express, a bit annoyed with myself that I had chosen it rather than the stopping train that should have followed it. Eventually we were told that they were waiting on a member of the train crew. Possibly the 'sandwich seller'? After a short pause we were given the additional bit of information that he was, err, the driver!).

I mostly enjoy driving my car but not in stop-go traffic and not on motorways, which are boring and scary when free-running 70 mph traffic abruptly changes to stop-go but how many drivers noticed? I would love to lock my car to the wire then.

The human perception of risk will also be a factor, we are a lot happier usually when we think we have control than when we give that control to others. Familiarity helps too. When the railways started some people didn't feel it would be safe to go faster than a horse and now 100 mph plus is commonplace. When one considers that the trains stay on the rails not by some sophisticated steering system but by the self-stabilising action of a pair of cones.. well I'd rather not consider it! (There is a subject for a "Why Engineer?" school talk here, all those little things that we rely on without a thought, the bolt that doesn't break, the screw that holds - built on centuries of knowledge and attention to detail).
Children
No Data