This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Women in Engineering

Here’s a contentious one for you all:

The latest edition of the E&T magazine with the cover title “We have an image problem…” has been dedicated to the ratio of women in engineering (currently 9% in the UK) and the premise, which is presumed undisputed, is that it is too low and it should be addressed.

The question is, why do we actually need more women in engineering?
Parents
  • I think that the answer is not that we need more women in engineering but rather that we need more engineers and we need more diversity among those engineers. Addressing the gender imbalance is an easy way to start tackling both these shortages.

I don't have Andy's experience of working for women engineers, either entirely or in part, but the best manager I have had was female  and not an engineer (but in charge of a number of engineering departments). I can also say that some of the best engineers I have recruited have been female.

Alasdair Anderson FIET
  • I think that the answer is not that we need more women in engineering but rather that we need more engineers and we need more diversity among those engineers. Addressing the gender imbalance is an easy way to start tackling both these shortages.

I don't have Andy's experience of working for women engineers, either entirely or in part, but the best manager I have had was female  and not an engineer (but in charge of a number of engineering departments). I can also say that some of the best engineers I have recruited have been female.

Alasdair Anderson FIET
Children
No Data