This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Are Quantum computers just analog computers under a new name?

There is plenty of scientific buzz about quantum computing, but almost no engineering.

I'm just old enough to remember the Analog computer (with patch cords and amplifiers) in the back of the of my university electronics lab, with an Intel 8008 in the other.

At that time 'analog' was coming to an end, and digital computing was coming to the masses with all its new languages and special logic (pascal, algol being new kids on the block to replace the veritable FORTRAN).

Now I see that Quantum computing is all the rage, if only someone can get it working, and fathom how to progamme it. However the question remains: "What is the 'it' of which we speak?".

I would posit that what we have a just a new way of interconnecting an 'analog' computer, where the 'feedback'/coding is meant to take the initial random noise, amplify and select the appropriate components, and finally stabilise on some particular bias level that indicates our solution. Hopefully with minimal energy or power consumed by the computation (apart from the cost of running the refrigerator at near 0K).

Where is the engineering explanation and conceptuallisation of Quantum computing?, and Is it just a new fangled Analog computer?

Thoughts...
Parents
  • Hi Richard Johnson‍,  As you note you had "no knowledge of analogue", by which I presume you mean 'no knowledeg of analog computers', which was, generically, part of the point of my question. It is like looking back at all the explanations, over the years, decades, centuries, of how the human brain works, and what you find is that the explanations match the current principal technology, so we now see the brain as a digital computer, rather than a late 19th century clockwork mechanical device (can't find the BBC article on that history at the moment).

I was guessing that, actually, the vast majority of the working population of engineers and scientists, particularly those under 60 (who were 18 in 1975 and possibly just starting their tertiary education) will have completely missed the ideas and methods of analog computing, and the speed at which it calculated rather complex things (relatively speaking). But then again analog could not compute 2 x 2 and get 4.00000 !

(for an easy analog computation, think of a mesh of electrical resistors that emulate flow of product though various channels that have linear flow characteristics - simply apply voltages at the edges and instantly measure the flows in any branch of the network (e.g. Rosen's theorem for mesh networks).

At the moment the whole 'Quantum' thing is stuck in an 'it's too complicated fror the likes of you' way of describing it, and the osmosis is preventing the diffusion of the knowledge.

At the moment I'm not a believer in the absolute ' instant' -ness of quantum computing (Simon Barker's). Certain aspects may have a mathematical instant effect, like 1+1=2 is instantaneous and reversible, but the thermodynamics is not in favour of quantum computing being that instant - It appears as if the physicists are hiding that under it being a 'measurement' issue, which is just a conceptual split (just like heliocentricity was useful to Galileo's maths smiley).

Most of the 'noise in old analog computers was at the limit, quantum in nature, it just looks like they have cut down the size (inertia) of the items that are being 'processed', so they can respond (interact) more quickly, which then begs the question, why so cold - it usually makes everything respond more slowly. Maybe they are meeting in the middle (ambient quantum phenomena and interactions are too quick, so slow/cool them down until we can see them making their quesses!)

• Hi Richard Johnson‍,  As you note you had "no knowledge of analogue", by which I presume you mean 'no knowledeg of analog computers', which was, generically, part of the point of my question. It is like looking back at all the explanations, over the years, decades, centuries, of how the human brain works, and what you find is that the explanations match the current principal technology, so we now see the brain as a digital computer, rather than a late 19th century clockwork mechanical device (can't find the BBC article on that history at the moment).

I was guessing that, actually, the vast majority of the working population of engineers and scientists, particularly those under 60 (who were 18 in 1975 and possibly just starting their tertiary education) will have completely missed the ideas and methods of analog computing, and the speed at which it calculated rather complex things (relatively speaking). But then again analog could not compute 2 x 2 and get 4.00000 !

(for an easy analog computation, think of a mesh of electrical resistors that emulate flow of product though various channels that have linear flow characteristics - simply apply voltages at the edges and instantly measure the flows in any branch of the network (e.g. Rosen's theorem for mesh networks).

At the moment the whole 'Quantum' thing is stuck in an 'it's too complicated fror the likes of you' way of describing it, and the osmosis is preventing the diffusion of the knowledge.

At the moment I'm not a believer in the absolute ' instant' -ness of quantum computing (Simon Barker's). Certain aspects may have a mathematical instant effect, like 1+1=2 is instantaneous and reversible, but the thermodynamics is not in favour of quantum computing being that instant - It appears as if the physicists are hiding that under it being a 'measurement' issue, which is just a conceptual split (just like heliocentricity was useful to Galileo's maths smiley).

Most of the 'noise in old analog computers was at the limit, quantum in nature, it just looks like they have cut down the size (inertia) of the items that are being 'processed', so they can respond (interact) more quickly, which then begs the question, why so cold - it usually makes everything respond more slowly. Maybe they are meeting in the middle (ambient quantum phenomena and interactions are too quick, so slow/cool them down until we can see them making their quesses!)

Children
No Data