This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Maker Movement / Mending Things

Having finally received my E&T and read the section on repairing consumer items I wondered how many people here  actually mend/make things?

To start thing off I have attached a couple of pictures of recent repairs I have made. Did it make sense to make these repairs? I think so.

c04bbf54d6eaed567b1d64f690b8bcb5-huge-fridge-icebox-door-hinge-repair.jpg

09c4eb6b07e6a755f957564934bf5b49-huge-suitcase-wheel-repair.jpg

Best regards

Roger
Parents

• Carl Watkin:

We have become a throw away society, spurred by the relative cheapness and market abundance of the most commonly used items

Some methods of manufacture prevent repair. Sometimes, this is unavoidable, such as multilayer boards. Have a PC at home that almost certainly has a dry or broken joint in the motherboard - not worth even considering looking at it.

In other cases, for example clips on casings, I sometimes wonder whether they are designed that way for ease of manufacture ... or to make it devilishly difficult to repair. I wouldn't like to speculate on all the motives for any particular product, as I can see both sides of the argument for many.

However, a particular case which often causes me to start to boil up, is that of "wall warts" that are glued together ... and then the glue becomes brittle with the heat in use, and fails ... so the casing comes apart when you try and unplug it, leaving a very dangerous situation.
    angry

• Carl Watkin:

We have become a throw away society, spurred by the relative cheapness and market abundance of the most commonly used items

Some methods of manufacture prevent repair. Sometimes, this is unavoidable, such as multilayer boards. Have a PC at home that almost certainly has a dry or broken joint in the motherboard - not worth even considering looking at it.

In other cases, for example clips on casings, I sometimes wonder whether they are designed that way for ease of manufacture ... or to make it devilishly difficult to repair. I wouldn't like to speculate on all the motives for any particular product, as I can see both sides of the argument for many.

However, a particular case which often causes me to start to boil up, is that of "wall warts" that are glued together ... and then the glue becomes brittle with the heat in use, and fails ... so the casing comes apart when you try and unplug it, leaving a very dangerous situation.
    angry

Children
No Data