This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Maker Movement / Mending Things

Having finally received my E&T and read the section on repairing consumer items I wondered how many people here  actually mend/make things?

To start thing off I have attached a couple of pictures of recent repairs I have made. Did it make sense to make these repairs? I think so.

c04bbf54d6eaed567b1d64f690b8bcb5-huge-fridge-icebox-door-hinge-repair.jpg

09c4eb6b07e6a755f957564934bf5b49-huge-suitcase-wheel-repair.jpg

Best regards

Roger
Parents
  • Dave,

I had a rather less intensive university course - we got Wednesday afternoon's off. Apart from that it sounds familiar.

Part of the problem also is the quality of the pupils leaving school also appears to be falling (I say appears because it is only anecdotal evidence). Certainly when I went to university as a mature student in my mid-twenties I found that my fellow students were asking fundamental questions that I knew from school, about seven years previously.

However I think the biggest problem is the expectation of many that a degree is what is necessary and if you are paying a shed-load of money then graduation is expected. Back in my day (and presumably yours) if someone couldn't cope with the course they would drop out, and with grants they did not incur any debt as a result. Nowadays they are all getting into debt and expect a degree at the end of it, and if the university fail to award degrees there is a potential for claims for compensation for poor teaching or similar. This means that the poorer quality students are still likely to get a degree.
  • Dave,

I had a rather less intensive university course - we got Wednesday afternoon's off. Apart from that it sounds familiar.

Part of the problem also is the quality of the pupils leaving school also appears to be falling (I say appears because it is only anecdotal evidence). Certainly when I went to university as a mature student in my mid-twenties I found that my fellow students were asking fundamental questions that I knew from school, about seven years previously.

However I think the biggest problem is the expectation of many that a degree is what is necessary and if you are paying a shed-load of money then graduation is expected. Back in my day (and presumably yours) if someone couldn't cope with the course they would drop out, and with grants they did not incur any debt as a result. Nowadays they are all getting into debt and expect a degree at the end of it, and if the university fail to award degrees there is a potential for claims for compensation for poor teaching or similar. This means that the poorer quality students are still likely to get a degree.
Children
No Data