This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Maker Movement / Mending Things

Having finally received my E&T and read the section on repairing consumer items I wondered how many people here  actually mend/make things?

To start thing off I have attached a couple of pictures of recent repairs I have made. Did it make sense to make these repairs? I think so.

c04bbf54d6eaed567b1d64f690b8bcb5-huge-fridge-icebox-door-hinge-repair.jpg

09c4eb6b07e6a755f957564934bf5b49-huge-suitcase-wheel-repair.jpg

Best regards

Roger
Parents
  • Christmas is coming! It's the time of year when friends and others sometimes present me with a set of decoration lights no longer working. I have built a reputation of being able to fix things like this.

A few years ago I was asked if I could fix a set used in our local church. It comprised 40 or more (I forget just how many) miniature capless filament bulbs in series. There were some spare bulbs available but the set was completely lifeless. I had a prod around it with a multimeter and neon testing screwdriver (don't be too horrified!) and located a bulb that had failed and gone open circuit. Normally these bulbs short circuit themselves when they fail, so you can spot them. Result - set working again!

COULD I DO SOMETHING LIKE THIS NOWADAYS?

It's getting more difficult. I have a LED set bought only a few years ago. Some lamps are no longer lighting up. These sets are wired in several groups of a few lamps in series and if a lamp goes open circuit or its connection breaks, then the group does not light up. I managed to get one of the groups working again by wiggling a lamp around. Another group I cannot revive. There are no accessible contacts; I would need to break into insulation - if I knew just where the fault was. And then I shall need to re-insulate after the repair - not easy for something to be used outdoors. 

I don't think I'll be using this set many more years. They don't seem to make these things to last, do they, in spite of the high tech.

I have an "elfin cone" lighting set purchased in 1955, which is still in use (not with the original bulbs, obviously)!
  • Christmas is coming! It's the time of year when friends and others sometimes present me with a set of decoration lights no longer working. I have built a reputation of being able to fix things like this.

A few years ago I was asked if I could fix a set used in our local church. It comprised 40 or more (I forget just how many) miniature capless filament bulbs in series. There were some spare bulbs available but the set was completely lifeless. I had a prod around it with a multimeter and neon testing screwdriver (don't be too horrified!) and located a bulb that had failed and gone open circuit. Normally these bulbs short circuit themselves when they fail, so you can spot them. Result - set working again!

COULD I DO SOMETHING LIKE THIS NOWADAYS?

It's getting more difficult. I have a LED set bought only a few years ago. Some lamps are no longer lighting up. These sets are wired in several groups of a few lamps in series and if a lamp goes open circuit or its connection breaks, then the group does not light up. I managed to get one of the groups working again by wiggling a lamp around. Another group I cannot revive. There are no accessible contacts; I would need to break into insulation - if I knew just where the fault was. And then I shall need to re-insulate after the repair - not easy for something to be used outdoors. 

I don't think I'll be using this set many more years. They don't seem to make these things to last, do they, in spite of the high tech.

I have an "elfin cone" lighting set purchased in 1955, which is still in use (not with the original bulbs, obviously)!
Children
No Data