This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Maker Movement / Mending Things

Having finally received my E&T and read the section on repairing consumer items I wondered how many people here  actually mend/make things?

To start thing off I have attached a couple of pictures of recent repairs I have made. Did it make sense to make these repairs? I think so.

c04bbf54d6eaed567b1d64f690b8bcb5-huge-fridge-icebox-door-hinge-repair.jpg

09c4eb6b07e6a755f957564934bf5b49-huge-suitcase-wheel-repair.jpg

Best regards

Roger
Parents
  • Lynne Collis:

Even cars are becoming more difficult to repair, apart from inserting new "black boxes". I could strip a Layland engine down to its con rods, but recently, our garage had to close its repair shop for two weeks while it waited for a new diagnostic computer.

If a headlight fails now, I can't just replace the bulb, it's a complete sealed unit that's required. I'm sure that's more profitable for Peugeot-Citroen, but it creates a lot of waste.

I used to tinker a bit with my early cars - change oil, change filters, change clutch cables even. One car had continuing problems with the carburettor. I lost count of how many times I had it to bits. One day in the early seventies I had the unpleasant experience, whilst driving through central London, of the engine cutting out and refusing to tick-over, though it would run as long as the accelerator was depressed. I managed to find a place to park somewhere I shouldn't and carried out roadside repairs. I dismantled the carburettor and blew the idler jet clear. Reassembled and all OK again.

COULD I DO SOMETHING LIKE THIS NOWADAYS?

No way! As Lynne says, it's all "black boxes" nowadays. Fuel management systems and such like. They are very clever, I agree. Does anyone remember choke controls, cold engine problems, "flat spots"? Consigned to the dim past. It is even possible to climb a 1 in 12 gradient just on the tickover (yes, I tried it once). Failures are rare but if they do go wrong it can be very wrong. I would call the RAC and leave it to the experts with the tools and the know-how.

• Lynne Collis:

Even cars are becoming more difficult to repair, apart from inserting new "black boxes". I could strip a Layland engine down to its con rods, but recently, our garage had to close its repair shop for two weeks while it waited for a new diagnostic computer.

If a headlight fails now, I can't just replace the bulb, it's a complete sealed unit that's required. I'm sure that's more profitable for Peugeot-Citroen, but it creates a lot of waste.

I used to tinker a bit with my early cars - change oil, change filters, change clutch cables even. One car had continuing problems with the carburettor. I lost count of how many times I had it to bits. One day in the early seventies I had the unpleasant experience, whilst driving through central London, of the engine cutting out and refusing to tick-over, though it would run as long as the accelerator was depressed. I managed to find a place to park somewhere I shouldn't and carried out roadside repairs. I dismantled the carburettor and blew the idler jet clear. Reassembled and all OK again.

COULD I DO SOMETHING LIKE THIS NOWADAYS?

No way! As Lynne says, it's all "black boxes" nowadays. Fuel management systems and such like. They are very clever, I agree. Does anyone remember choke controls, cold engine problems, "flat spots"? Consigned to the dim past. It is even possible to climb a 1 in 12 gradient just on the tickover (yes, I tried it once). Failures are rare but if they do go wrong it can be very wrong. I would call the RAC and leave it to the experts with the tools and the know-how.

Children
No Data