This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

DC HV transmission

May I ask for a bit of advice, purely from personal interest?

When one sees a HV transmission line with four conductors, one can be pretty sure it's DC, probably for the railways. First question: why four conductors and not two? Second question: do DC lines exist with two or six conductors? How would I recognise this?

Many thanks
Parents
  • Reply to Michael Wrigley

Without a photo or sketch it is difficult to know what conductor geometry you are describing.  And where have you seen it?

To the best of my knowledge, there are no HVDC circuits on overhead lines here in the UK, and I think not many in Europe.  This may change in future.  So, if you saw this conductor arrangement in UK it was almost certainly AC and not DC.

Hope that helps

David Ward

• Reply to Michael Wrigley

Without a photo or sketch it is difficult to know what conductor geometry you are describing.  And where have you seen it?

To the best of my knowledge, there are no HVDC circuits on overhead lines here in the UK, and I think not many in Europe.  This may change in future.  So, if you saw this conductor arrangement in UK it was almost certainly AC and not DC.

Hope that helps

David Ward

Children
No Data