This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

DC HV transmission

May I ask for a bit of advice, purely from personal interest?

When one sees a HV transmission line with four conductors, one can be pretty sure it's DC, probably for the railways. First question: why four conductors and not two? Second question: do DC lines exist with two or six conductors? How would I recognise this?

Many thanks
Parents
  • HVDC transmission lines are to be seen in plenty of places across Europe but maybe not in the UK or France where AC is prefered for long distance rail traction. In Austria a plate at ground level explains the voltage and the fact that it is destined for railway use. In Germany and Czechia I have never seen such a plate. Lines have four identical conductors.

The configuration with four conductors is pretty definitive - it is DC! But I don't see why the transporter decides to use four and, in fact, he may also have lines with two or six conductors but I'm unable to recognise these. There are so many different insulator designs across Europe but I would guess that this would be a clue as to the nature of the current.
    attachments.zip
  • HVDC transmission lines are to be seen in plenty of places across Europe but maybe not in the UK or France where AC is prefered for long distance rail traction. In Austria a plate at ground level explains the voltage and the fact that it is destined for railway use. In Germany and Czechia I have never seen such a plate. Lines have four identical conductors.

The configuration with four conductors is pretty definitive - it is DC! But I don't see why the transporter decides to use four and, in fact, he may also have lines with two or six conductors but I'm unable to recognise these. There are so many different insulator designs across Europe but I would guess that this would be a clue as to the nature of the current.
    attachments.zip
Children
No Data