This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

DC HV transmission

May I ask for a bit of advice, purely from personal interest?

When one sees a HV transmission line with four conductors, one can be pretty sure it's DC, probably for the railways. First question: why four conductors and not two? Second question: do DC lines exist with two or six conductors? How would I recognise this?

Many thanks
Parents
  • I'm very grateful to Umesh who confirmed my ideas about four conductor lines. On the LinkedIn article about the same subject, there is a picture of a two conductor HV DC line. No way this can be mistaken for a 22kV single phase line.

However, my thirst for knowledge is not yet totally slaked when it comes to a line with six conductors. Can anyone tell me what to look for to know if the line is AC or DC? It looks like the insulators are very similar, if not identical. In some countries such as Austria, it's written on a plate on the mast but to get to the mast I would often need to take my bike across a field or make some other detour.

Many thanks in advance

Mike (in Czechia)
  • I'm very grateful to Umesh who confirmed my ideas about four conductor lines. On the LinkedIn article about the same subject, there is a picture of a two conductor HV DC line. No way this can be mistaken for a 22kV single phase line.

However, my thirst for knowledge is not yet totally slaked when it comes to a line with six conductors. Can anyone tell me what to look for to know if the line is AC or DC? It looks like the insulators are very similar, if not identical. In some countries such as Austria, it's written on a plate on the mast but to get to the mast I would often need to take my bike across a field or make some other detour.

Many thanks in advance

Mike (in Czechia)
Children
No Data