This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Engineers who did not enjoy school - are they rare?

This might come across as a very strange question but is it uncommon to find engineers who did not enjoy school or think highly of the schools that they attended? I have encountered numerous computing and IT types over the years who did not enjoy school or had bad experiences at school but very few electrical or mechanical engineers.
Parents
  • I'm not an Engineer Arran,  but I loved being at School! smiley Actually I think what I loved (and still love) is learning rather than school itself perhaps?

I'm most happiest when I'm learning something new and are given the opportunity to use that learning too (nothing worse than learning something then never using it... ahem... 'algebra' wink)

I'm currently doing an Adobe Photoshop Intermediate course at college, (having already done the Beginners classes), and thankfully get to use my new skills both in my day job with the IET and my extra curricular activities too. 

I think maybe many IT professionals didn't get on with schooling perhaps because, back then, IT was something new so they've had to learn a lot more outside of school than they learnt at school? Maybe that influences their recollection of what school was like for them?

In fact one of the most stupidest things I've ever said was to my Computer Science teacher back when I was doing my 'O' levels when I had to decide whether or not to do Computer Science as an option or to continue with Chemistry. I said to him that I doubt if I would ever use a computer in my life.... blush Ohhhh how wrong could I be!
  • I'm not an Engineer Arran,  but I loved being at School! smiley Actually I think what I loved (and still love) is learning rather than school itself perhaps?

I'm most happiest when I'm learning something new and are given the opportunity to use that learning too (nothing worse than learning something then never using it... ahem... 'algebra' wink)

I'm currently doing an Adobe Photoshop Intermediate course at college, (having already done the Beginners classes), and thankfully get to use my new skills both in my day job with the IET and my extra curricular activities too. 

I think maybe many IT professionals didn't get on with schooling perhaps because, back then, IT was something new so they've had to learn a lot more outside of school than they learnt at school? Maybe that influences their recollection of what school was like for them?

In fact one of the most stupidest things I've ever said was to my Computer Science teacher back when I was doing my 'O' levels when I had to decide whether or not to do Computer Science as an option or to continue with Chemistry. I said to him that I doubt if I would ever use a computer in my life.... blush Ohhhh how wrong could I be!
Children
No Data