This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Engineers who did not enjoy school - are they rare?

This might come across as a very strange question but is it uncommon to find engineers who did not enjoy school or think highly of the schools that they attended? I have encountered numerous computing and IT types over the years who did not enjoy school or had bad experiences at school but very few electrical or mechanical engineers.
Parents

• Lisa Miles:

Actually I think what I loved (and still love) is learning rather than school itself perhaps?

Bear in mind that learning and school are two completely different things. It's possible to love learning but hate school for any one (or more) of 1001 different reasons.

I think maybe many IT professionals didn't get on with schooling perhaps because, back then, IT was something new so they've had to learn a lot more outside of school than they learnt at school? Maybe that influences their recollection of what school was like for them?

A theory I have is that a sizeable proportion of IT types did badly at school academically but succeeded in IT because the knowledge required for a career in IT is not based on a traditional school curriculum. However it is possible to achieve high when it comes to academics but hate school and fall down badly when it comes to academics and love school.

• Lisa Miles:

Actually I think what I loved (and still love) is learning rather than school itself perhaps?

Bear in mind that learning and school are two completely different things. It's possible to love learning but hate school for any one (or more) of 1001 different reasons.

I think maybe many IT professionals didn't get on with schooling perhaps because, back then, IT was something new so they've had to learn a lot more outside of school than they learnt at school? Maybe that influences their recollection of what school was like for them?

A theory I have is that a sizeable proportion of IT types did badly at school academically but succeeded in IT because the knowledge required for a career in IT is not based on a traditional school curriculum. However it is possible to achieve high when it comes to academics but hate school and fall down badly when it comes to academics and love school.

Children
No Data